Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Buttons, Buttons & Buttons

Article about: Early/mid 1940s IMO....

Default Buttons, Buttons & Buttons

Comrades!
    During the 16+ years that I did ACW living history/reenacting, and during my time doing WWII G.I. you could hear many of my comrades discussing buttons, what was right, what was not, which ones appear on what item of uniform and when, etc.
    I have not seen this discussed when it comes to reproduction RKKA uniforms, and on gyms in particular. I know very little when it comes to RKKA uniforms of the GPW, but am learning. My question to the learned forumites is this:

- On reproductions, and in period photos, I've seen brass buttons, green painted buttons, and "black" buttons on gymnastroikas. Is there any rhyme or reason when it comes to what type of button was used when? Were certain buttons only seen, or primarily seen on a particular model?

I got an M43 gym from koliya1985, and they have some nice, semi-hollow back, solid cast buttons. Are these correct?

Any and all "button help" and education would be appreciated on my part. Thanks in advance!

Warren

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Buttons, Buttons & Buttons
    P
    Many

Default Re: Making Sense of Gym Buttons

Warren,

Very interesting, and a quite comprehensive subject to say the least. I can show many different examples and variations of buttons dating from 1920X thru 1950X for all sorts of garments. Also, many period images that show them in use - within regulations, and outside regulations. Photos are the ultimate source IMO.

For starters, show your gymnasterka and it's buttons.

Associate member Mike Baskette and myself have been trying to create a discussion about buttons for some time now.

Perhaps this may be our chance...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

OK Richie, I will. I'll try to get some pics made tomorrow or this weekend and post them. I have a "mystery" magazine pouch no one can figure out that I've been meaning to post as well.

Warren

I am looking forwards to this thread. I will add what I can.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi,
    Some examples of buttons, if you can help.

Regards.
    Philippe

Fun stuff here... Maybe this attempt will stick. I suppose I should try to dig mine out as well. Might take a bit, my collection is still in boxes from my move.

From Philippe's lot I have the following questions:

#13 Is the front side of this button aluminum?
    #15 Is a German Zeltbahn button is it not?
    #16 Is the shoulderboard button that intersts me the most. I believe the detail of the star is critical on these as there might be blank backed, post version of this rimless shoulderboard button.

Abcent from this collection is the blank backed, all aluminum "field grey" painted shoulderboard buttons that in my opinion are post war German made... that everyone sells as original wartime Soviet.

Hi,
    Buttons 13 : recto and verso.
    Buttons 15 : Yes, Is a German Zeltbahn.
    Button 16 : Post-war (for me).
    Some time ago, I wrote an article about gymnasterkas and I submitted this photo with buttons that could find collectors. That's why I put the buttons 13 and 16.
    There are also buttons in wood, bone, civilians .... but I'm not all models.
    Regards.
    Philippe

Have and spares like #22... I need one

?

The button nr 13, they was found in a big bunch in one of the Russian military stocks, and all was packed as well and mixed together with pre war steel buttons. The pack contains 1000 pcs and was marked by June of 1945 year. IMO, they are not a German made, due of the german buttons seen was a higher quality made.
    The same was steel, aluminum ( some of them depot painted to khaki) and brass. They was on sale in one of the Russian military shops, and supplier is a Russian depot officer who steal some different military items... As I've tried to find contact with him- peoples says that he is quite a hidden percone, and affraid to loose his " warm place under the son"
    There is all the time different items, as Richie has seen a lot of buttons from a Russian site ww2.ru- they are the same source, but all the time here is works: who is the first after his visit to the military comission shop...
    As I've bought there the items, as a Mosin pouches, different bags, Maxim MG carring kit, holsters, belts, and other devices.
    Here I will add some pictures with items bought. At least guys, you've never saw the smaller size LL darkgreen button, ( I guess)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Buttons, Buttons & Buttons   Buttons, Buttons & Buttons  

Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

About the 16 Nr button, the shape is'nt post war, even I don't like that shape. I have seen them battlefield found. That shape do not chage over the years. But agreed that you can't recognize the differences between the war and postwar, as you can't find the differences in the M 35 star which is pre war, and post war- just a probably enamel color, which was only one hue after the war
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast