Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A few questions about the WWII uniform of the Red Army

Article about: Hi guys, I am having a hard time finding info on this with Google. I am just curious as to how the uniform of the Red Army worked. My mind likes to structure things in a very specific hands-

Default A few questions about the WWII uniform of the Red Army

Hi guys,

I am having a hard time finding info on this with Google. I am just curious as to how the uniform of the Red Army worked. My mind likes to structure things in a very specific hands-on, timeline fashion, so please correct me if any of my dates are wrong.

So, from what I gather, the obr. 35 gymnasterka was the standard uniform until 1943, when it was replaced by the obr. 43. Was it entirely replaced, or was there a mix worn in the field until the obr. 35 was slowly phased out? What replaced the obr. 43, and when? Was one model used more than the other, and are either particularly hard to find?

Also, when did the telogreika come out? Were these worn over the gymnasterka?

Was the enlisted version different from the officer's version?

Are there any other significant models I should know about?

Any info or photos would be great! Thanks, Mo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A few questions about the WWII uniform of the Red Army
    P
    Many

Default Re: A few questions about the WWII uniform of the Red Army

Hi Mo, you have a good basic grasp of the subject.

To elaborate further:

The two patterns of uniforms came in both summer weight material, cotton drill and winter weight in woolen material (Oddly enough, not that thick actually when compared to a British BD Blouse).

With the introduction of the Obr43 pattern uniform and the new shoulder boards (Pogoni), there was a crossover period which lasted for much of 1943, which saw troops adding the new shoulder boards to their old Obr35 gyms creating a hybrid look.

The Telog was originally designed to be worn UNDER the Greatcoat (Shinel) but it was found to be adequate on it's own worn over the Gym. First introduced in 1929. Long white underwear, a sleeved shirt and Long Johns were also worn, again in summer cotton and winter wool. Earlier issues were buttonless V necked, later ones with a three button front round neck, to match the uniform.

Officers uniforms were slightly better quality. The Gym was a dark green shade as opposed to the khaki of the enlisted men.

The Obr43 Gym was originally issued with breast pockets for enlisted men. But after sept 44, they also got the luxury of pockets. This uniform was worn until 1969.

Today the Obr35 Gym is hard to find, particually in the enlisted mans version. Most were worn to destruction. Wartime Obr43 pattern enlisted gyms are not easy to find either come to that.

That pretty much covers it I think?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

This is an excellent site with nice colour pics of uniforms being worn today: Click on each image to expand it:

Óíèôîðìà Êðàñíîé Àðìèè è Ôëîòà
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade, I think I'm ready to start looking for an original. I hope I don't have to look to hard. I would prefer an enlistedman's pattern of either, so if you know of any for sale please let me know. That link was fantastic.

How much do post-war obr. 43 gymnasterkas typically go for? Are they different from wartime ones? I might invest in one as a placeholder if I have a hard time finding a pre-1945 example.

Hi Mo,

Forum sponsor Espenlaub has/had a few for sale... They aint cheap!

Original WW2 German militaria, WW2 Red Army militaria, WW2 Soviet militaria and more...

Hi Mo, the link Joe provided will give you a good idea on prices.

I might be able to help with a 1950's era Gym. The real detail difference will be an internal pocket sewn onto the pocket lining to take the ID card. Other than that, they are really the same.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    This is an excellent site with nice colour pics of uniforms being worn today: Click on each image to expand it:

Óíèôîðìà Êðàñíîé Àðìèè è Ôëîòà
    Great link Ade,
    As is fairly common knowledge, I make models but dont have much interest in the Red Army etc, BUT, I also happen to have a couple of figure kits in the "to do" cupboard and this will provide me with some very useful info.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Thanks guys!

Ade, if you could help me find a 1950's gymnasterka, that would be great.