Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this gymnasterka ww2?

Article about: Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum to get some information on how to tell if a gymnasterka I am thinking of buying is from the ww2 period. I have gone through the forum from one end to

Default Is this gymnasterka ww2?

Hi everyone,
    I've just joined the forum to get some information on how to tell if a gymnasterka I am thinking of buying is from the ww2 period. I have gone through the forum from one end to another gathering as much info as I can, but I am still unsure and would like some help. I will try and attach the pics I have of it for an opinion.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this gymnasterka ww2?   Is this gymnasterka ww2?  

Is this gymnasterka ww2?   Is this gymnasterka ww2?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this gymnasterka ww2?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this gymnasterka ww2?

Hello Brett,

IMO, it dates from the late 40s into the middle 50s - the latter is most likely. The shoulderboards are for artillery private.

BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with collecting Cold War era stuff. It is still somewhat available, inexpensive, and above all, interesting.

Actual wartime cloth items - not items advertised as such, intentionally or otherwise - are becoming increasingly difficult to find nowadays...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Richie,
    Thanks for the reply! The Soviet stuff seems a minefield, and information is hard to come by as to what to look for in ww2 stuff. I have been looking at the pockets on this one, and also the buttons on the shoulderboards along with the material it is made from.
    One more question......did the ww2 gyms have re-enforced sleeves on them, or is that feature found on post war jackets?

Thanks,
    Brett

WW2 uniforms can be found with and without elbow reinforcements if that is your question. I will add that my comments refer to cotton uniforms only. Woolen items do not haves these reinforced elbows

Thanks Michael,
    Trying to work out what is pre and post WW2 is like a minefield.....even more so than the Third Reich stuff......

Thanks for the help guys !!

?

Yes the USSR items are sometimes difficult. They were not near as good stamping and numbering their items. Also lots of the uniforms was made by prisoners and they vary a lot in construction.

Regards, Lars