Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Identifying a telogreika jacket

Article about: Gentlemen, Since my childhood, the image of the soviet soldier of the Great Patriotic War included the telogreika padded jacket. For me it is an iconic part of his uniform, and it has ever s

Default Re: Identifying a telogreika jacket

Quote by guscanoesp View Post
    Dimas,

Thanks for your reply.

So you actually think it is a war period jacket?

Regards,

Gus
    Hey guys, I'm back after more absence... I have sold a home, bought a new one and moved in the last couple months.

To the topic at hand, this telo if a POW item may be wartime, but that does not mean it is Red Army military issue. The POW clothes were the same as worn by workers all over the Soviet Union at the time. These padded clothes were adopted by the military, not invented by the military. There are many Barbarossa shots from summer of 1941 showing peasants wearing this type of clothing, so it can probably be assumed that it was worn in Soviet civilian life even pre-war.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying a telogreika jacket
    P
    Many

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Hey guys, I'm back after more absence... I have sold a home, bought a new one and moved in the last couple months.

To the topic at hand, this telo if a POW item may be wartime, but that does not mean it is Red Army military issue. The POW clothes were the same as worn by workers all over the Soviet Union at the time. These padded clothes were adopted by the military, not invented by the military. There are many Barbarossa shots from summer of 1941 showing peasants wearing this type of clothing, so it can probably be assumed that it was worn in Soviet civilian life even pre-war.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for your comment. You raise a very good point.

I have checked the forum for photos of other padded jackets (especially the wonderful ones you posted with different colours), and this one has three main differences from the supposed "civilian" jackets: It lacks a collar, it has an adjustable belt on the back and it has no outer pockets (though some GPW period telos seem to have outer pockets too).

That is why I thought it was an "army issue" telo, but had no idea if it was post GPW.

Regards,

Gus

Gus,

Don't misunderstand, the posting of my jackets was to sort out differences between the early, collared militiary telogrieka and all the possible civilian types out there. I did not mean to imply that there were no civilian telogrieka without collars. I suspect that there probably are some. Jacket with no collar exist in black and blue just like my collar jackets. The color alone may be reason to suspect other, non-military use of this no-collar type. Both the jackets I showed were German POW bring backs.

Your jacket sure looks like a typical POW item. I have seen collars replaced or added on others before. I think it's true origins civilian/military will never be known. The item has enough history to be desireable in of itself. I just would not pay a military Telogrieka price for it as POW telogrieka appear on German eBay with some regularity and never command high prices.

My collection is still packed in boxes from the move, but I think I have a set of padded trousers with the same style of buttons you show on this telo. I'll see if I can get to them. My trousers were for certain POW bring backs. If I can get to those, I will post photos.

Quote by Wesley's Dad View Post
    Gus,

Don't misunderstand, the posting of my jackets was to sort out differences between the early, collared militiary telogrieka and all the possible civilian types out there. I did not mean to imply that there were no civilian telogrieka without collars. I suspect that there probably are some. Jacket with no collar exist in black and blue just like my collar jackets. The color alone may be reason to suspect other, non-military use of this no-collar type. Both the jackets I showed were German POW bring backs.

Your jacket sure looks like a typical POW item. I have seen collars replaced or added on others before. I think it's true origins civilian/military will never be known. The item has enough history to be desireable in of itself. I just would not pay a military Telogrieka price for it as POW telogrieka appear on German eBay with some regularity and never command high prices.

My collection is still packed in boxes from the move, but I think I have a set of padded trousers with the same style of buttons you show on this telo. I'll see if I can get to them. My trousers were for certain POW bring backs. If I can get to those, I will post photos.

Mike,

Fully understood.

I will certainly take your comments in consideration.

The amount of black holes that still exist in this field of soviet collecting is incredible. It is a delight when someone like you, Dimas, Ade and other experts in the forum shed some light on this matter. Thank you.

Regards,

Gus

Hi Guss, I don't know about expert with me! But I like the general look of the jacket and would buy it if the price was right.

Re the collar: is the dark green collar facing material German? I just wonder if this was taken off a early German greatcoat? I wonder if it was added to make the jacket more military looking? It is just a thought.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guss, I don't know about expert with me! But I like the general look of the jacket and would buy it if the price was right.

Re the collar: is the dark green collar facing material German? I just wonder if this was taken off a early German greatcoat? I wonder if it was added to make the jacket more military looking? It is just a thought.

Cheers, Ade.
    Ade,

Oh, yes, you are an expert, and also humble. And one of the nicest persons I have met on a forum!

Regarding the collar of the jacket, I have not the slightest idea if it is german or not, but if I get to have it in my hands, I will photograph it thoroughly and post the photos here. If it is indeed from a german greatcoat, then I will definitively leave it untouched (I had previously thought of removing it).

Too many ifs.... I hope they become reality.

Regards,

Gus

?

The jacket is for sure a soviet made
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Ade raises an interesting question. I have seen a collared version of the "POW" jacket that had the collar facing repaired in German HBT. If this one was done in German dark green wool, I would certainly consider buying it. It would be too unique to pass on.

As Ade said, I don't know if I am considered an expert either. I just do my best to communicate what I know in a reasonable manner based on the experiences I have. I am glad to help and try to learn from everyone else as well.

Yes, there are many black holes.

lardassmonkey
    ?

Could anyone tell me if there was ever a Telogreika issued that used a 7 button front rather than the usual 5? If so when were they issued?

?

Thumbs up Re: Identifying a telogreika jacket

Nice pic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying a telogreika jacket  

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast