Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Identifying a telogreika jacket

Article about: Gentlemen, Since my childhood, the image of the soviet soldier of the Great Patriotic War included the telogreika padded jacket. For me it is an iconic part of his uniform, and it has ever s

Default Identifying a telogreika jacket

Gentlemen,

Since my childhood, the image of the soviet soldier of the Great Patriotic War included the telogreika padded jacket. For me it is an iconic part of his uniform, and it has ever since been my dream to incorporate one in my collection.
    Some 10 years ago I finally got one from a dealer from St. Petersburg, and even though it seems to be of wartime pattern and have wartime stamps, I have always been suspicious about it, it was "too new". Knowing that the pattern remained the same long after the end of the war, I had little doubt it was a postwar specimen. I am posting several photos for the experts to assist me with their appreciated opinion.
    Anyhow, I have several questions regarding the jackets:

Did the soldiers kept them after being licensed, as with greatcoats, and used them until they fell apart? Or it is that the RKKA kept them in the quartermaster warehouses for future recruits (and are still "sleeping" in dark warehouses today)?

Is that one of the reasons it is so hard for a wartime specimen to appear in the market?

Will we see a flooding of telogreikas in the collector market coming out of those warehouses someday, as it happened with WWII tanker helmets some years ago?

Which are the most important attributes that differentiate a wartime telogreika from a postwar model, if any?

Take a look at the photos. Maybe if other fellow collectors post images of their wartime jackets, the non experts like me can see how they look like and learn what to look for.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying a telogreika jacket   Identifying a telogreika jacket  

Identifying a telogreika jacket   Identifying a telogreika jacket  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identifying a telogreika jacket
    P
    Many

Default Re: Identifying a telogreika jacket

Hi,
    The "telogreika" manufactured before or after the war are very difficult to find because they were brought up to wear the ...
    I recognize a well-known stamp Alexei G. ... alias 'DoubleDecker "on this" telogreika. Sorry, but the model presented is a post-war production
    I found my "telogreika" in an attic in Normandy ago nearly 15 years. I will soon put photos on the forum.
    Regards.
    Philippe

Quote by Philippe View Post
    Hi,
    The "telogreika" manufactured before or after the war are very difficult to find because they were brought up to wear the ...
    I recognize a well-known stamp Alexei G. ... alias 'DoubleDecker "on this" telogreika. Sorry, but the model presented is a post-war production
    I found my "telogreika" in an attic in Normandy ago nearly 15 years. I will soon put photos on the forum.
    Regards.
    Philippe
    Yes, That is the name of the dealer who sold me the garment years ago! I can see that he and his "instruments" are well known. LOL .
    My suspicions were founded. Luckily I did not pay too much for it. He told me he had direct access to a huge RKKA warehouse in his town and that much of the uniforms and equipment were from the GPW.

Nice to know you will post photos of your jacket, Philippe. This way it will be easier for me to check the differences and learn more about this wonderful garment.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Gus

I have yet to find an example that I am 100% comfortable with...

I can not add any additional comments to Philippe's reply. Spot on Philippe!
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi,
    Here are the photos of the "telogroïka. I found it in the attic of a town hall in Normandy, a few kilometers from "Point du Hoc." There was also the pants, a helmet M.40 with leather interior and a cartridge for Mosin.
    When I found this "telogroïka" there was more buttons except those at the bottom of sleeves that are original. As I have never managed to find the same buttons wooden buttons I put the large model with the arms of the USSR. There are also a few holes of moths and mice that have been repaired.
    I just washed the telogroïka "with cold water and had the color" sand ". There are some differences in color, but they are difficult to see. The interior has the clear blue.

( I put the pictures of pantalon in the next message).

Regards.
    Philippe

Here are the photos of his trousers. He retained the best colors. The buttons are 4 holes, but there are also buttons "bowl" German, and buttons that I believe to be English.
    Regards.
    Philippe

?

Philippe- very nice set, probably belonged to the one of the French/Soviet partisans or to the one of the Russian volunteers who served in the Normandy coastal guard. Very clear and textbook wartime example.
    As I can say, most of the wartime produced jackets was without internal pocket, ( prewar models is similar to the postwar and has internal pockets, but difference in colour and material, so, you'll never mistake. Colour can be blue, black, green, brownish-sand, and khaki, materials is partially used as a soft lining or more rough in structure materials, similar to the gasnmask bag's material.
    Liner is allways white, black, blue, or light grey, but never khaki.
    Usually the liner was used in the same period in all of uniforms, the same for gimnasterka, trousers and padded jackets.
    The khaki liners can be found in all of above uniforms approx 60-70 years
    Grey which is the same in structure as khaki, used in the end of 1940'- till the end of 50
    Other colors, but a bit different in cloth structure- was produced till the end of 40's
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Thanks Dimas.
    I should soon have another "telogroïka" and his pants. The grayish color, a pocket was added at the time in and the buttons are all made of wood. On the left sleeve on the distinguished record of a badge that has been desultory. As soon as I could, I'd photos.
    All these uniform parts that I found in Normandy from the Russian volunteers. I put on the forum some pictures of these parts, if you are interested.
    Regards.
    Philippe

Dimas, thanks for your answer. A nice, short and concise description of the attributes of a wartime Telogreika that will surely be incredibly useful.

Philippe, thanks a bunch for posting the photos of your jacket and trousers. Wonderful specimens, congratulations. They distill history through every one of its stitches. I´ll be impatiently waiting for the photos of the other telogreika trousers and jacket.

I just hope someday a stash of padded jackets is discovered in an obscure former Red Army depot and a good amount of wartime telogreikas appear on the market to make us soviet militaria collectors happy. Otherwise, I think it is virtually impossible to find decent specimens of this garment nowadays.

Regards,

Gus

?

Quote by Philippe View Post
    Thanks Dimas.
    I should soon have another "telogroïka" and his pants. The grayish color, a pocket was added at the time in and the buttons are all made of wood. On the left sleeve on the distinguished record of a badge that has been desultory. As soon as I could, I'd photos.
    All these uniform parts that I found in Normandy from the Russian volunteers. I put on the forum some pictures of these parts, if you are interested.
    Regards.
    Philippe
    Very interesting to see other examples which was used by POA members
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast