Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting M43 Gymnasterka

Article about: BTW - welcome to our forum, Warren...

Default Interesting M43 Gymnasterka

I have recently added this photo to my collection. I found it interesting due to the fact that the man's gymnasterka is made of a seemingly odd material.

Has anybody here ever seen such a thing previously?

The man in the image also seems to have been seriously wounded on the right hand side of his face.

Perhaps this is something that was worn in a hospital or sanitorium?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting M43 Gymnasterka   Interesting M43 Gymnasterka  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting M43 Gymnasterka
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Interesting M43 Gymnasterka

Hi Richie, Looks like a German made of a german material

Could very well be Dimas...

I also showed this photo to our associates in Russia, and received these informative opinions and explanations:

http://ww2.ru/forum/index.php?s=&sho...dpost&p=488647

Richie,
    I know I'm late on this thread, I only just now found this place and joined. I cannot read Russian/Cyrillic, so I cannot see the explanations from your friends in Russia, however I can think of another alternative to the German-made material. The U.S. sent a tremendous amount of bolts of material to the USSR to include herringbone twill. This gym in the above photo looks for all the world just like the HBT US Army utility uniform of the period made from the HBT cloth that was imported. Just my two kopecks, your madness may vary.

FWIW,

Warren

Hi Warren, welcome to the forum!

In actual fact, I would agree with you. I am sure this is US HBT cloth. I have seen a colour photo of a female Red Army soldier taken at Torgau and I am sure she wears a Gym of US cloth.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by dixieflyer View Post
    Richie,
    I know I'm late on this thread, I only just now found this place and joined. I cannot read Russian/Cyrillic, so I cannot see the explanations from your friends in Russia, however I can think of another alternative to the German-made material. The U.S. sent a tremendous amount of bolts of material to the USSR to include herringbone twill. This gym in the above photo looks for all the world just like the HBT US Army utility uniform of the period made from the HBT cloth that was imported. Just my two kopecks, your madness may vary.

FWIW,

Warren
    Warren,

First of all welcome to the forum.

Having another look at the photo, I think you have nailed it. It does look like HBT material. Maybe the original photo has more resolution than the scan and Richie can take a second look and confirm it, but unless he says otherwise, I think you are completely right.

I actually thought all goods sent to the USSR were manufactured products, not raw materials such as this HBT fabric.

Regards,

Gus

Gus,
    I am no expert, just a former collector who lives vicariously through the collections of others now and a little reenacting/living history. To my knowledge finished goods were shipped, but I do recall reading (or being told) that raw materials, both wool and cotton, were shipped to the USSR. I'll have to dig through my sources to be certain though. Thanks for the very warm welcome. I am sure some of my reenacting friends who love to dispel myths will love the conversation on this forum. We will learn a lot from you. Thanks!

Warren

Hi,
    I also think a fabric US HBT cloth.
    I have a Soviet-made pants in this fabric with the following photos.
    No markings on the inside.

Regards.
    Philippe

?

Nice trousers, but I newer seen the US heringbone materials on the soviet items, the soviets done the heringbone twill from a mid of 30's and is very similar to US and other who produce them. I wouls say that gimnasterka itself is a tailor made item, and that was very fashionable to get items from German tailors and from German materials
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Nice job fellas! Even the Russian collectors did not even mention that possibility...

...the US HBT that is. I have never collected US kit, but have seen it and that explanation makes perfect sense.

Many thanks to you Warren, and to you also Philippe...

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast