Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?

Article about: Hi Last time I was able to get this nice, well worn M35 gym from reputable dealers in Russia. Generally a nice, field used, M35 manufactured in 1941 in Kazan according to manufacturing stamp

Default M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?

Hi
    Last time I was able to get this nice, well worn M35 gym from reputable dealers in Russia.
    Generally a nice, field used, M35 manufactured in 1941 in Kazan according to manufacturing stamps, size 2 (for a short, probably young soldier), deffinitely saw a lot of action.
    Has nice field collar tabs introduced in 1941, no signs of rank insignia.

The thing which concerns me the most are some unusual modifications which I can see for the first time.
    -[B]flap inside jacket-just the same as seen in late WWII US uniforms, used there as "gas flap". This one gas a buton hole to be fastened[B]
    -one additional buton hidden under collar flat-to fasten "gas flap"?
    -remains af a bakelite buton in left shoulder area-strange place for a buton-what was it for?
    -buton loop on collar-probably to close the collat better with buton hidden under collar flap?
    Guys from Russia described this tunic as "chemical troops tunic" but due to my limited knowledge of Russian and limited English on their website I wasn't able to be sure whether they mean collar tabs or this flap as chemical troops speciality (as we know, collar tabs are not for chemical troops (black) but for all kind of troops used in the field).
    I wasn't also able to find anything about this in uniform regulations.
    Anyone knows anything about this modifications?
    I would appreciate your opinions about this tunic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?   M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?
    P
    Many

Back of blouse-clearly visible "shadow" of a belt.
    Marking inside pocket: "D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?   M35 gymnasterka with unusual chemical protection modifications?  

The mysterious buton placed in shoulder area-bakelite part inside buton would indicate that it was placed inside tunic, however, outside there is visible thread and a roundy imprint.
    Close up of collar tabs and a buton loop.

There are two manufacturers stamp-on blouse's cloth and on a grey label inside blouse. Also numer "181" in stamped inside both armpits and under manufacturers stamps.

This blouse was worn a lot, and washed a lot, also has a hole after a badge above left pocket. The shape was very barely visible but it was, and im almost sure this was "otlichnik" badge. Fact which confirmes this is that hole is too small for an order (Red Star for ex.) but perfectly fits "otlichnik" or a Guards badge.

I noticed also some strange looking red-brown stains near the lower edge of a blouse under a sleeve, near the hole. Unfortunately looks pretty much like a blood

This gym for sure has seen a lot...

I like fact that in this case blouse has no steel buttons with hammer and sickle, only simple bakelite buttons and same kind of buttons on pockets but steel-commonly seen on a early Great Patriotic War period photographs.

That's all for now, I can send some additional photographs if there will be a need.

Looking forward to hear your opinions about this unusual gym
    Best Regards
    Jacob

?

Hi Jacob!
    It appears that the mystery button inside the shoulder would simply be used to fasten the ‘gas flap’. Rather than a modification, it seems this flap was fitted during manufacture, as the fabric and machine-stitching appear to be a good match.
    I think you can rest your mind, regarding the possible bloodstains, as I would think they are just rust marks.

It is certainly a splendid example with, as you say, a great deal of history. It is lovely to see such honesty in any piece.

Very well done and many thanks for all the images!

Bob

I’m thinking whether imprints on collar tabs well visible in post #3 aren’t efreitor’s insignia. So far I didn’t paid much attention to them thinking these could be bends due to storing this tunic,but while searching for some more period regulations about M35 gyms found that a strap across collar tab was 1941 regulation insignia sign of efreitor, but rank devices were often removed in the field.
    However I couldn’t find well visible signs of stitches (only on left tab saw something what could be a barely visible stitch for efreitor strap). Will try to take careful look in a day light.

?

I think you may well be right, regarding the Yefreitor stripe... there seems to be a very clear ‘ghost’ and, in the last image of post#5, there appear to be a couple of remaining threads at the front edge of the collar.
    Well spotted, sir!

I love that Gym!
    Bob

?

That's very, very nice.

The collar tabs intrigue me though. I thought M41 khaki collar tabs were usually a khaki flannelette material, but these look like some kind of ribbed material. Are they the same material as the rest of the tunic, but only a different color? Or were they possibly the same color before they faded?

-Bill M

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast