Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes

Article about: Forum associate Mike R - SGM (ret.) - has inspired me to begin a theme concerning this model of Gymnasterka. It would be interesting to discuss, in detail, of how to tell a wartime made exam

Thumbs up The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes

Forum associate Mike R - SGM (ret.) - has inspired me to begin a theme concerning this model of Gymnasterka.

It would be interesting to discuss, in detail, of how to tell a wartime made example from those of early postwar and 1950/60s times.

Fabric types, colours, style of cut, buttons, pocket linings, pogoni loops & string holes and etc...

Dim, I invite you to be the first to post your thoughts and opinions...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes
    P
    Many

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Default Questions about M43 Tunics

Hi all:

I'm planning to add a Soviet M43 tunic (enlisted or NCO) to my collection of combat uniforms. I've been trying to educate myself in this subject area, but am finding the task a bit difficult because of a lack of credible, detailed information.

I have found several uniforms for sale on various dealer sites, but am still having trouble making any firm determination about the actual dates of production.

Here are two different uniforms that are on the Collect Russia web site (the photos are from the web site with some notes that I have added to make it easier to discuss which uniform is which).

The first tunic (tunic #1) is listed as produced in the early 1950's. The second tunic (tunic #2) is listed on the site as a WWII vintage uniform.

As far as I can see, the differences between the two are very minor. Can anyone point out which of these differences are actually significant between war-time and post-war manufactured uniforms and which are just minor manufacturer's variations that have little significance?

The main differences that I can see are:

1) The shoulder strap attachment points. Tunic #1 has fabric shoulder board loops and small button holes near the neck. Tunic #2 has shoulder board loops made of thread and the buttons near the neck are sewn on.

2) The plaquet for the front opening on tunic #1 has an extra seam near the bottom that is absent on tunic #2. On tunic #2, the sewing for the plaquet appears to be less well finished than tunic #1.

3) Tunic #1 appears to be made of slightly "rougher" material than tunic #1, however, this could just be that the sizing (the material added to cloth during its manufacture to make it stiffer and easier to sew) has not been washed out of tunic #2 and not an actual difference in the cloth.

4) The color of tunic #1 appears to be a bit "greener" than tunic #2, however this could just be a slight difference in the photography.

5) Finally, the pockets of tunic #1 seem to be a bit lower down on the front of the tunic than on tunic #2.

I also have some other general questions about the M43:

1) How were the slip-on shoulder boards attached at the button end? In tunic #1, there are small button holes but no buttons. How were these buttons affixed to the tunic?

2) I have read about and seen M43 tunics with green painted buttons. Were these painted buttons just a manufacturer's variation, or was there some deliberate fielding plan? For example, were the green painted buttons intended and actually used on "combat" uniforms and the un-painted brass buttons intended for administrative duties? Or, were the painted and un-painted buttons just used randomly?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes   The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes  

?

Default Re: Questions about M43 Tunics

I' ll prefer not to discuss some of the others commercial examples. But I will post my own based examples etc about the gimnasteka tunic as a guide a little bit later.
    So at my opinion shown example 2 is private purcased example.

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Default Re: Questions about M43 Tunics

Thank you. I will look forward to it.

?

Default Re: The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes

The Soviet officers gimnasterka tunic mostly made of gabardine wool, and mostly of them is privat purchased. The soldiers gimnasterka which is made post war can be recognized by material and pockets. I will post here the pictures ASAP.
    Khaki painted buttons are easily found in the soldiers tunics, but officers has most fashioned uniforms.
    Usually nowadays is more easyest way to find german tunic, but not a good soviet...
    Here I will post some examples of officers tunics.
    The airforce one is reapplied M35 tunic.
    And the artillery one is not a bad example
    Today belonged to our member Soljenitsine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes   The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes  

The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes   The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes  

?

This one is circa 44-45 years made, a absolutely nice one. Unfortunately due of postwar fashion, the uniforms was worn till the trash...

The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes   The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes  

?

This is the (1)pocket of the soldiers gimnasterka jacket- easy way white/ grey rough materials used, simple construction. Unfortunately no better pictures at the moment
    This one is gabardine made soldiers M43 in very bad quality
    (attachment2)

?

This one is made in the end of 1944 year. The picture does'nt show original color, but it's also not soft cloth, which was originally yellowish white, but heavily worn. This example is also has not so high quality work
    And example (attach4) is postwar made DDR high quality materials construction

?

Here is another examples of postwar gimnasterkas ( exact copy of M 24 wool gimnasterka for soldiers, but without collar). The first shown picture is the same as used in war time, just a different materials used in war time and from 1945 year- after the war ends, quality starts more higher.
    With spare pocket is made after 1948 year, later will show the materials used in the pockets

Attached Images Attached Images The M43 Gymnasterka: A Dissection Of Attributes 

SGM (ret.)
    ?

Dimas,

Excellent! Thank you. Could you show some details of the shoulder boards and their attachments? I'm interested in the details of how the removable buttons and boards were affixed.

I note that the artillery uniform you have shown has the khaki buttons. Are these buttons more common with the enlisted uniform?

Am I correct to say that the enlisted uniform is of the same cut and pattern as the officer uniform only made of poorer material?

Finally, can you give some information on the wool versus the cotton uniforms. Is one type more common than the other? Were both used at the same time, or only during different seasons (winter versus summer)?

You have some very nice uniforms. Your collection must be very extensive.

Thank you, again, for sharing.
    Mike

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast