Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M43 gymnasterka for workers?

Article about: Hello, Here is a new addition to my collection. The Gymnasterka was originaly geting a pocket on the right but it was unfortunatly taken off It came out with the pilotka and a leather and ca

Default M43 gymnasterka for workers?

Hello,

Here is a new addition to my collection.

The Gymnasterka was originaly geting a pocket on the right but it was unfortunatly taken off
    It came out with the pilotka and a leather and canva belt.

The cloth is pretty heavy and I was initialy thinking at a gymnasterka for worker.
    Have you already came across such gym?

In advance thank you

Bruno

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M43 gymnasterka for workers?
    P
    Many

?

I think it probably had pockets on both sides it's just one was more carelessly removed than the other.

On the material, there are so many different types out there from hard wearing to quite thin; i wouldn't read too much into the intended use of the gym from it.

I think there are two possibilities:

1. Reworked M35. Look at the shoulder seam. (I'd welcome discussion from other forum members on this by the way) The seam has two visible lines of stitching like an M35, M43s typically have a neater seam stitched on the inside. The pockets could have been removed to make an M43.

2. A slightly contradictory theory - its a post war M43 for the NKVD with external pockets removed. I say this because from the 'ghost' of the pocket it seems to have angled edges which are typical of some post war NKVD and VOKR tunics. That said, I'm not sure those tunics had elbow reinforcements like this one.

Is the collar made from one continuous strip of fabric? is there a gusset at the bottom of the tunic on each side towards the hem?

From these pics I see only 1 ghost of a removed pocket and the shape is not like the standard M35 pockets but indeed as Boycie mentiones with angled bottom edges. Would be nice to get a clear picture of the left side of the tunic to see if there was also a pocket.

Hello Boucie and marcel for your comments and analysis.

I might have been disturned yestaerday by another addition to my collection so I didn't pay good attention to the Gym.

I was taking the additional photos when i didcovered that the Pocket was in fact not sewed ecternaly but internaly to the Gym.
    The photos also highlighted the fact that the butons were also changed with the same kind of black fil.
    That would the make this gym a standard pocketless M43
    Question will now be to know when and why the modification were applyed.

Bruno

?

Bruno. I think that's probably easy to answer - soldiers of all eras and nations like to customise their things!

I've never seen such a thing before but it makes complete sense. Pockets didn't appear for other ranks until 1944 (i think).

Where else do you put your makhorka?!

Hello Boycie

Thanks for your comment.

You are right, these little customisation to make life easier.

I would have expected officier to mention that Tobacco wasn't good for Health but we may question their credibility when they propse steel instead

Pocketless gym were used till 1948 for soldiers.
    Gym with Pockets were for officiers and Under officiers. They had no reinforcemnt on the arms.

So it is clear that Pockets were most usefull. It is the same issue with telogreika that were supposed to be a warm undergarnment before becoming a piece of uniform in itself.

Fascinating topic.

Bruno

Dom
    ?

Bruno,

I found the fashion designer

Happy New Year

arghh.. this is it!!
    Thanks Dom, and have all a wonderful end of the year
    My best

Bruno