Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Medics assigned to units

Article about: Did these troops wear a Med service pogori, or did they wear the pogori of the parent unit? What did the branch insignia for enlisted medics look like? Spaceba Boridin

Default Medics assigned to units

Did these troops wear a Med service pogori, or did they wear the pogori of the parent unit?

What did the branch insignia for enlisted medics look like?

Spaceba

Boridin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medics assigned to units
    P
    Many

Default Re: Medics assigned to units

Quote by RedHorseman25 View Post
    Did these troops wear a Med service pogori, or did they wear the pogori of the parent unit?

What did the branch insignia for enlisted medics look like?

Spaceba

Boridin
    A- I would think that they used their own shoulderboards in many, if not most instances...

B- Insignia on field shoulderboards for all EM was absent (as well as other branches). For privates, both field and parade, insignia was absent also - as far as I know... However, from private first class up, branch insignia, which is the same as commanders used, was adorned only on parade/service shoulderboards.

Commanders' shoulderboards adorned insignia (or were supposed to, from what I understand of regulations) in all cases.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

From my conversations with Ivan (a man I used to work with who was in the unit I portray [unfortunately now deceased]) they all wore branch insignia on their pogori after the 43 changeover. They had blackened for wear on field pogori, and brass for the odd occasions they had to wear walking out, or parade uniforms. He was a Cavalry scout, and most of the troopers also wore Cav branch insignia.

His unit SOP was also that they did not wear any medals, citations, or orders, other than wound stripes on the field uniforms. He was in a Ukrainian territorial Defense Army unit, which was activated in 41, but remained a Ukrainian commanded unit until 46.

Boridin

all wore branch insignia on their pogori after the 43 changeover. They had blackened for wear on field pogori
    Boridin
    I assume the man was an officer, because painted insignia (both factory made and field made) was in use during those times for field use, and only officers adorned branch insignia on field-type shoulderboards.

No, he was a Cpl.

Most troopers in his unit wore Cavalry branch insignia. I have a set of his original insignia. They look more like copper, than brass, and he said that they used to take the brass ones, and heat them in the fire to darken them.

My understanding is that it was common practice for all members of the unit to wear branch insignia. The only ones who didn't were late war replacements who came to the unit without them, and they would be issued branch insignia as they became available.

Boridin

Hi Boridin, I was interested to read the accounts from your friend. But this was certainly non regulation practise. I suspect this was a case of a Commander allowing this to happen as part of unit "espirit de corps".

Cheers, Ade.

The rank of Corporal did not exist in the RKKA/Red Army.

Well remember this was a Ukrainian Territorial Defense Army unit, not regular red Army, and Richie, if you prefer, he was an Efreiter (which is the same as a Cpl.)

Since this seems to have come up, I have posted the story of Ivan in a seperate section.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ussr-...092/#post74670

Please enjoy.

Boridin

Well remember this was a Ukrainian Territorial Defense Army unit, not regular red Army, and Richie, if you prefer, he was an Efreiter (which is the same as a Cpl.)

I tend to be overzealous at times, most times. Please, pardon me for my curtness and be assured I mean no disrespect.

In any case, thank you for sharing the fantastic story. It is certainly refreshing that your passionate interest in this man and his history inspires you to revivify him in the form of actual recreation.

I assume that the rank of Efreiter -ефре́йтор- is a/or equal to Corporal in other armies, but in RKKA/Red Army it is Private First Class.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medics assigned to units  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast