Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying belt/buckle

Article about: I bought this belt months ago to display with my Nagant revolver - it was inexpensive and so I wasn't worried about the originality. As I've seen other examples, I've noticed that the hookin

?

Default Need help identifying belt/buckle

I bought this belt months ago to display with my Nagant revolver - it was inexpensive and so I wasn't worried about the originality. As I've seen other examples, I've noticed that the hooking system for the belt is unlike others I've seen with the single post/hole.

Would someone be able to identify what I have here? Real or fake?

Thanks in advance for any info that can be provided. I look forward to spending some time looking around the forum.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying belt/buckle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Need help identifying belt/buckle

I do not believe that it is fake. However, it is a marriage between a M32 (double claw belt) and an M35 buckle - but who knows WHEN it was "married". These cut out star buckles were very popular, even after the war.

I have in the past seen the same combination using more modern belts (60s-70s/cheesier leather and orange coloured thread) and advertised as being WWII vintage.

Your belt however, seems old - but again, who knows.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Smile Re: Need help identifying belt/buckle

Thanks! Can you provide more info on the M32 belt? I assume by the letter designation that it was produced before the M35? Was it used by both officers and NCOs? It seems that this clasp process was prone to failure - no?

I looked at the insie of the belt where the buckle is sewn in - clearly has been there for a long time. The protective leather flap that covers the buckle is well worn and looks consistent with the wear around it. But, the stitching is much more crude - larger stitches, thicker thread, so you pegged the replecement.

My collecting so far has primarily focused on weapons but this has stirred an interest in belts, buckles, holsters, etc. My wife is going to kill me!

M32 belt - Nickel plated buckle.

Intended for commanding structure (officers) but I own and have seen period photos of NCOs using them.

The M47 belt was very similar except the buckle was bare brass.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying belt/buckle   Need help identifying belt/buckle  

M35 belt and it's fastening system - for comparison.

Like I mentioned earlier - these cut-out star belts were very fashionable and I would not be surprised if guys made up their own - which yours may indeed be.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying belt/buckle   Need help identifying belt/buckle  

One last comment and photographic contribution...

Some guys even made them up from scratch.

Take this image of an unknown HSU and an example from my collection - The photo also shows the M32 in use:

?

Ahh, I'm just slow some times. The reason that I'm not seeing any similar hooking mechanisms on other belts is because this one was made by the person who converted the M32 to a M35-type belt. They added the bent pin contraption to replicate the single-pin style but still use the existing double holes from the M32 belt.

Well, I'll never know who made the swap but that just adds mystery to me. I truly have a one-off version. And, as I stated above, the wear indicates that this belt saw a lot of wear in this configuration so I don't think it was a recent piece of work.

Thanks for taking the time to school me a bit. I'm sure you get the same questions from many of us and I do appreciate your patience and assistance.

Mark