In this well known picture (end of the war, Manchuria, some Russian soldiers around the chinese puppet emperor's throne) we can see some trends of late war outfit:
- Differences between officers (wearing pilotkas instead of peaked caps, only the airman is wearing a cap) and soldiers (at least two of them seem to be privates wearing cotton gyms with pockets) tend to fade, a common trend as the war advanced in many other armies for several reasons:
- Ease of supply.
- Ease of procurement on the field.
- Less conspicuous for snipers.
- Preference for well tested equipment on the field.
- More gifted commanders tend to arise, which don't need to stress authority by the uniform (the so-called Sukhomlinov effect).
03-24-2015 05:28 PM