Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sewing the white cotton parts of Gimnastyorka

Article about: Greetings! I am new to the forum and this is my first thread. I am from Brazil and I'm used to buy most of stuff using the internet, since such material is really hard to find in my country

?

Default Sewing the white cotton parts of Gimnastyorka

Greetings! I am new to the forum and this is my first thread. I am from Brazil and I'm used to buy most of stuff using the internet, since such material is really hard to find in my country or nearby.
    A few months ago I bought a gimnastyorka thru an Ukrainian seller. He was really nice and patient, since it was my first international order. He even sent me the Senior Lieutenant shoulder boards, my rank in real life(retired), instead of the one of soldiers announced. I also liked how he sent me the WWII pilotka, instead of the 80's parade pilotka, that I bought by mistake.
    Watching a few Soviet movies, as usual, and paying attention to the photos of officers, I realized that all gimnastyorki have an inner white part. Reading the log of an Estonian man who was in the Red Army, I realized that actually soldiers sew it by themselves.
    Once I'm extremelly careful with my uniform(I did not even attach my Gvardiya badge afraid of piercing it yet ^^), would you have any guide or tips about how to sew cotton white part of gimnastyorka and which materials can I use?

This is my uniform, btw:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PS: I got really surprised to know that several people take it seriously! The only reenactment that I ever saw was a Medieval one, where my Belarusian friend plays an English maid. It's funny some people have the full armor set and tabards, they even display at their social network profiles.
    PS2: I know that the medals that I carry are actually parade medals from the 60s-70s.

Enjoying the opportunity, I would like to know what belt is used with this gymnastyorka, if brown or belt(the belt I use at this pic is a civilian one). And if there is any difference between soldier and officer boots, concerning looking. (at this pic I'm using jeans as pants, once I don't have the whole uniform yet)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sewing the white cotton parts of Gimnastyorka
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Sewing the white cotton parts of Gimnastyorka

Here is how to sew it in. This one was sewn in by a GPW vet.

?

Thank you!

This is called a collar liner. It would be changed daily in a barracks situation, much less often at the Front. But it would be done if possible. It keeps the collar of the Gym from getting dirty.

Belts can be brown leather with an open frame buckle or a webbing and leather version.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Btw, what do you use to pierce your gimnastyorka? I have a Guard's badge and a badge of Komsomol to attach it, with a bolt like pin. I'm afraid of piercing my uniform.