MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Afghanistan era field caps: ID assistance

Article about: I am curious if anyone knows the proper Soviet names and style numbers for each cap I posted, opposed to the generically-used "Afghanka" seen on the Internet. I do not own these ca

Default Soviet Afghanistan era field caps: ID assistance

I am curious if anyone knows the proper Soviet names and style numbers for each cap I posted, opposed to the generically-used "Afghanka" seen on the Internet. I do not own these caps-- they were copied from web images. The only caps I confirm are (A) the M-38 that was the original cap to be called an "Afghanka" in the Soviet-era, yet this cap was not designed for/during the Afghan war. This cap was replaced by the “Panama” hat but a true Soviet "panama" cap (does anyone know its real model number and name?) was not used in Afghanistan so I have read, as production of it came after the war. The second cap (B) is the popularly-termed "Syriaka" without a balaclava wrapping. Does anyone know the true model name and number of this cap? The third (C) is a cap with the "ushanka" on top. This I've seen in photos of troops from 1979-82. What is the correct term and model of this cap and, was it phased out with another model? Your help is appreciated. --Will
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Afghanistan era field caps: ID assistance  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Afghanistan era field caps: ID assistance
    P
    Many

Hello Will

The Afghanka only refer to the M84 new uniform that goes with the C model you present.
    The Panama, with some variation is the modele A
    A Mabouta cap also exist, similar to C model. This is the one you may have seen on photos from 79-82

Best regards

Bruno

Thank you bourguignotte. I find no Russian word for "Mabouta", the cap you mention. Is this a correct transliteration into English? I am curious as to why Internet English language searches and Russian give no obvious photos of troops wearing the "Syriaka". It makes me wonder if that cap was not widely issued during the war. See attached images of other caps and uniforms below. Photo credits accorded; I own none of the images.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Afghanistan era field caps: ID assistance  

Hello Will

The Mabouta, mubuta? is the VDV uniform you find on photo D

All the best

Bruno

Here is a photo of a Soviet "Syriyka" cap. This comes from my collection. Of note is the date 1975, confirming the cap could not have been made for the Afghan conflict. I only state this because of occasional "internet lore" saying this headgear was made "for troops in Afghanistan". If anyone reading the post knows when this exact design variation of the Syriyka came into production, please comment. I am still looking for correct model designations for this cap and other caps I posted below.

Hello Will

Wouldn't it be an OKZK cap?

Bruno

Hello, Will.
    A - "Panama"
    B - "Pilotka with a visor"
    C - "field cap "

All these funny names - "Syriyka", "Afghanka", "mabuta" - just "soldier slang" names. This is not the official name.

I agree with Bruno - "Pilotka with a visor" (cap, which is often called "Syriyka") - in fact, is part of the OKZK (Combined Arms Complex Protective Suit). It was widely used during the Chernobyl disaster. As far as I heard, he has nothing to do with Syria.

Here more details and pictures:

http://forum.ww2.ru/index.php?showtopic=12548&p=3307980

"Mabuta" - is the slang name of the "costume for special forces".

https://forum.ww2.ru/index.php?showtopic=18122

Best regards, Michael

Thanks a lot Michael for these informations and for the links

I will definitively have to practice my "little" russian

Best

Bruno

Thank you, Bruno, was glad to help.

That there was no confusion:

A - "field cap" (slang term "Afghanka")
    B - "field cap" (slang term "Mabuta" )
    C - "Pilotka with a visor" (slang term "Syriyka". I do not know where this name came from).

"Pilotka with a visor":

Looking at the photo, I am wondering about the level of protection provided by such suit

Bruno

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast