Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII

Article about: Hello, I just received these today in the mail. I have taken good pics of them, and would appreciate some expert opinions and information about them. I am no expert, but think they wartime m

Default Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII

Hello, I just received these today in the mail. I have taken good pics of them, and would appreciate some expert opinions and information about them.

I am no expert, but think they wartime made, possibly earlier, and officer buckles. Then again, they could be post war, or even fakes, I do not know 100% but feel they are probably original, and pre 1945 by looking at them.

One is slightly smaller than the other, and is constructed a bit differently. Please advise if need more picture angles etc.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII   Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII  

Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII   Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII  

Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII   Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII

They look just fine and there are all sorts of variations.

I believe that these belts, as per regulation, were intended for use by commanding structure only. However, I have seen, and own quite a few of images of them being worn by sergeants and even some soldiers.

I also believe that they were made well into late 1940X.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Quote by RichieC View Post
    They look just fine and there are all sorts of variations.

I believe that these belts, as per regulation, were intended for use by commanding structure only. However, I have seen, and own quite a few of images of them being worn by sergeants and even some soldiers.

I also believe that they were made well into late 1940X.
    Hi Richie, they wore these post war also? Do you feel these are WW2 or earlier belt buckles, how about a little history lesson. Where they first used in 1935 thus the M35 designation? or earlier or later? is there a definite way to tell if not maker marked, and were some maker marked?

Regards, Steve

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi Richie, they wore these post war also?
    Regards, Steve
    Yes. I have seen and own period photographs dated well into the postwar era of commanding structure, sergeants, and even soldiers wearing these - contrary to "regulation".

Where they first used in 1935 thus the M35 designation? or earlier or later?
    The actual designation according to reference is "1935 pattern". So, IMO, if they were available for distribution then, they were used starting 1935. However, I would think they became more common during the following years as supplies increased. They did indeed become very popular among commanding structure during those times - again, according to reference.

is there a definite way to tell if not maker marked, and were some maker marked?
    I assume there is no way to tell Steve as far as I am concerned, as not one of the many I own, including the few postwar German made "reparation" examples, are marked. Even the belts themselves lack any markings. If they were ink-marked at one point in time, the stamp is long gone from wear and use. The only belts I have seen marked in any fashion are an M47 (double-clawed) belt, and a few U.S. made soldier's type Lend-Lease belts that are die-stamped.

IMO, it really does not matter if they are postwar or not, but I do feel that most out there are prewar/wartime made pieces.

Reproductions, when seen close-up, not two meters away , are easy to differentiate from originals.

In any case, again, yours' look A-OK to me.

...how about this oddity?: "Staged" photograph or not, which IMO, is usually the case with images of guys adorned with all sorts of weaponry and Maxim belts taken during the early stages of war with Germany, , this Fleet officer wears a waist belt that I would think he is not supposed to be wearing...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII  

Hi Richie! thanks for the history lesson and the "odd" picture, it's appreciated. Very interesting "staged" picture. Theses2 buckles are my first, and wanted to learn about them which was accomplished.

Of all the places these buckles could have come from, these 2 came from Chile. That is a little "odd to me. But as I have learned here on the forum, there are Soviet collectors all over the world. They were less than $60US total for both, delivered to my door in 6 days, so I think I may have done OK with these.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards, Steve

Two more images of non-commanding personnel wearing this belt - BOTH, IMO postwar taken...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII   Soviet M35 Belt Buckles ??? Are these Pre-War-WWII