Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet shoulder boards

Article about: Hello friends, I will need your help regarding two shoulder boards I found in the museum I'm currently working! Even the people here don't know exactly what they are so I came to you! I mana

Default Soviet shoulder boards

Hello friends,

I will need your help regarding two shoulder boards I found in the museum I'm currently working! Even the people here don't know exactly what they are so I came to you!
    I managed to persuade them that they are Soviet made but I would like your regarding the branch, rank and era of manufacture! After some research I found that the 3-striped one is for the rank of Sergeant and the other one kinda reminds me of the Staff Sergeant rank but I'm not sure for the latter!
    Any help?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet shoulder boards   Soviet shoulder boards  

Soviet shoulder boards   Soviet shoulder boards  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet shoulder boards
    P
    Many

Hello,

The first one with black color looks like copy for me, I've seen alot of them with a very close fabrics and construction sold as copy for reenactor, the second one, don't know but seem to share some point with the first ... but the conception looks more wartime.

Wait more advices in any case i'm not a pro it's just an observation.

As for the rest, it's a tank/artillery shoulder straps, the black one is a "parade" model and the other is the "campaign" model.

Thank you for the response! I'm sure these are not repro as they were found in the museum's storage rooms where they keep all the insignia gather through the years from donations the looting/souvenir hunting done by soldiers!
    What do you mean by parade and campaign type? Do yuo refer to the type of uniform? As for parade and service dress?

"Campaign" is the "field" uniform used in combat the basic color is green or kaki for an obvious reason of camo.
    The "parade" model is not given for combat purpose ... but that's only on text because on true story alot of NCO or even officers preferred to wear this shoulder straps because of the better look and somehow (but not really) better conception also they could showed their appartenance to an army corps and be proud of !

Funny thing the straps for the "serzhant" (3 straps) are yellow and it's usually red on "field" shoulder straps, yellow are usually for parade.
    The other with large strap is "Starchiy serzhant" does the rank is printed ? I don't see the contrast of the strap

Tank and artillery corps share the same colors, black background and red piping.

Ok! Didn't know all that!
    Thank you very much for your help!

For me, I do not think of a Soviet manufacture, some elements of construction lets me think of another country of the east.
    The positive thing is that they are authentic, it is already a good thing.

Quote by Philippe View Post
    For me, I do not think of a Soviet manufacture, some elements of construction lets me think of another country of the east.
    The positive thing is that they are authentic, it is already a good thing.
    I am inclined to agree that these are like from another Eastern Bloc state and given the geography (these are found in Greece) and the history (Axis occupation during WWII) my main suspect is Bulgaria.
    Bulgarian military ranks have been the same as Soviet and even the terminology is almost identical.

These two as stated are for; Сержант / serzhant / sergeant, and for Старши сержант / Starshiy serzhant / Senior sergeant. There is also a third sergenat rank which is Младши сержант / /Mladshiy serzhant / Junior sergeant.
    I am not 100% sure that these are Bulgarian but as I say I think that is a good place to look.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-17-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Oh let me correct something... I'm from Greece but I work at the UK!! In a military museum!!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Oh let me correct something... I'm from Greece but I work at the UK!! In a military museum!!
    Ok, maybe that weakens the Bulgarian theory but only in as much as it allows more consideration of the rest of the Warsaw Pact but certainly only those using the same rank system as the Soviets As I said, I agree that these don't seem to be Russian but I am not 100% certain. The ranks are definately Soviet style.

If you don't mind me asking, which military museum do you work in? I visit many in Southern and Central UK (sometimes the North as that is my original home) and I always like to say hello to like minded types! PM if you prefer.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."