Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

Article about: Hello everybody fellow collectors. I am actually new on this forum as active poster, but I enjoyed reading and studying many discussions and topics on it since long time. I would like to sta

?

Default Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

Hello everybody fellow collectors.

I am actually new on this forum as active poster, but I enjoyed reading and studying many discussions and topics on it since long time.

I would like to start my activity on this forum asking your opinion about two Soviet (really not sure about the second one) cockades I bought in recent times.

First we have the case of the cockade in the down-left of the first image. I took a photo of it near to other pieces of my collection and then put it near the other cockade which it seems more similar to (the General-Marshall two pieces, 1955). The cockade I would like your opinion about is the left one in the second and third picture.

First, the material is brass, so period should to be comprehended between 1950s and 1960s.

But the cockade presents two particular elements: first of all it is a two-piece-one, as the General-Marshal cockade, 1955; the star is fixed on the main piece with two little prongs (but, as I hope the photo shows, the star of this cockade is different from the General-Marshal one, while the first is plain, the second one is realized in a bas-relief style (also the hammer and sickle on it follows this style).
    Secondarily, the cockade I am asking information about to you is actually smaller than the Marshal-General one, or any other one (1955, 1968 etc).

Now the second question comes. In the fourth picture you’ll see a part of my Soviet stars collection, as you may notice there is a star which looks like an intruder.

In the fifth picture I attached, you can see the "intruder" near a standard 1964 star.

The mysterious star is painted in field-color green and seems to be made in some kind of very light metal (feels like plastic but it is not).

Behind the star presents the very peculiar material you can see in the sixth photo: something like cord, kind of glued or anyway fixed to the back of the star.

I would greatly appreciate some comments and opinions regarding these two cockades.

Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockadesSoviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockadesSoviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockadesSoviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockadesSoviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockadesSoviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

Thank you

GC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

I think the two piece cockades are the same period made, just a different factories.
    The last star looks to me more like a filmstudio made star
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

The green lacquered brass star with the "cheesecloth" affixed to it's reverse: I own a few examples - All sourced from different sellers in Bulgaria, so I believe them to be Bulgarian made.

I would be interested in seeing further images of this one BEFORE I state that I believe it may be German made (for reparation):

Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades:
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Thank you Dimas for yur comment. I also think that the two similar soviet cockades belong to the same period, the point is that I did not find traces of the one which I asked your opinion about on any of the sources I usually refer to for cockades. And I also thought actually that the second unusual star could have been some kind of cinema-made reproduction, but the fact is that it would have been the reproduction of..nothing! It´s measures and style are kind of peculiar..so I thought it could belong to another nation.

And, RichieC (thanks also to you for your comment!), I actually got the green star from a Bulgarian seller too! So it´s belongings are clear now, I will just try to get the period . I owe a pretty big number of bulgarian hat badges and cockades and absolutely none of them has any similar characteristics. What do you think about that?

Then, RichieC, about the first soviet cockade what culd you tel me? It does sound as an early version of the officer one, but with it´s two parts structure..I am still wondering..

About the General-Marshall 1955 one, I will happyly post other pictures..when I will actually be back home! Till the 16th I am around!

I am actually not familiar with German made reparation military badges or hat badges; what would that mean in terms of the value of the cockade the fact that it could have been made in Germany post-war?

Thank you very much!

1- IMO, the Bulgarian star is wartime or IMMEDIATELY after...

2- Also, show more comprehensive images of this "first" cockarde.

3- Reparation stuff does not necessarily add any value per se - it is just interesting to me. I have many items in my collection - caps, insignia, uniform items, belts, equipment, etc that is postwar German made. Soviet design with high quality German craftsmanship...

BTW, this one is also German made. I have examples in aluminum and brass...

Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

?

Thanks again for your answers RichieC and, sorry to bore you more with that, how do you recognise German reparation made items? Better quality?

I do actually share your opinion about the Bulgarian star, even though I am probably no big expert :-)

Better quality of course, and if you have studied/collected German stuff, you can tell simply by the workmanship and materials used.

I specialize in pre-1960 Soviet cockardes, and along with a few colleagues in Russia, have spent a lot of time and effort in study and research.

?

Default Re: Soviet and unusual hammer & sickle cockades

I am really sorry but I still did not make it to touch home for this summer and I will be able to provide additional and more detailed photos in one week.

GC