Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform

Article about: I bout this taking a chance. The picture were not very in focus, which as people know some are trying to hide things but when I looked at the persons other things they had for sale all the p

?

Default USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform

I bought this taking a chance. The picture were not in focus, which as people know, some are trying to hide things but when I looked at the persons other things they had for sale all the pictures were not clear. He stated that it was a women's uniform I asked how could he tell. He said that it buttoned to the left.
    When I received the uniform the trousers had the lining shown. I first I did not know what to think but had read that the women would modify their clothes to make them feel more feminine.
    The pockets and waist are made with the cloth as well as the inside of the belt loops and back pocket flap. Very professionally done The set also came with some low quarter boots the have been resoled. All I need is the high boots and the beret. All insignia is magnetic.
    Sorry for the side ways photos, I had them rotated right side up?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform   USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform  

USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform   USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform
    P
    Many

?

Well done Marvin!
    That’s fabulous.
    I’m determined to find such an item for my collection now...
    Many thanks for posting this.
    Cheers,
    Bob

It appears that the aging process of the shoulder-board insignia has been chemically enhanced. Also, the lower end of the pentagon shows "oddful" age darkening.

I'm usually not the type of person to condemn an item as "FAKE!" without having it in hand, but in my opinion, the shoulder-boards are not authentic.

For curiosity's sake, I would like to see a good shot of the reverse so I can analyse the construction of the tongue & loop. Also, what do the winged prop ciphers measure (wingtip to wingtip, in MM)?
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

?

Here are some detailed shots of one of the shoulder boards.
    Pictures taken in natural light. Measurement is wing tip to wing tip.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform   USSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform  

Many thanks Marvin.

Unfortunitely, I'm still not 100% on these just yet.

If you would, take a photo of the obverse WITHOUT the button. Also, a close-up of the star from above and a close-up from the side (so I can see it's relief.)

I'll explain all in earnest afterwards.

Cheers,
    Richie

?

Here are the additional photos. It is a little difficult to get a good side shot of the star because it is kind of embedded down in to the board. Hard to see in the photo there is a slight out line of the button. For what it is worth, the back has a little more soiling that does not show in the photos.

Marvin, many thanks again for your time and participation.

Here is my hypothesis:

I believe that the boards themselves are authentic. They are a very small size (a good size for a small tunic, I.E. A young/"petite" officer's or female's tunic.), so most likely, because of rare usage, they became surplus, were put away in a military warehouse, and the following occurred after the release of such things during the late 1990s and beginning of the 2000's.

A- The winged prop ciphers on your boards are mid to late 1950s examples and were golden in finish and measure approximately 21-22MM in diameter. The wartime/early postwar type I show measure approximately 25-27MM and were silvered for combat personnel (golden laced boards). They have always been very hard to find. So, the aforementioned 50s types being affixed to a pair of pre-1946 boards raises a "Red Flag" - no pun intended. , as far as my experience is concerned.

B- I'm convinced that your boards had/have been artifically aged, chemically, prior to being affixed to the tunic - Note the odd dark stains around the stars and ciphers and the unusually dark oxidation on those embellishments. Most importantly, take notice that round "ghosts" where the buttons affix are nowhere be seen. The dark areas at the base are quite "oddful" also...

See the photos that I have attached of two different boards. I am totally confident that they have aged naturally, with the buttons affixed. However, they are post 1946 and not VVS - but that's all I have at my disposal at present - but they convey the idea at hand.

So, that's my opinion. Putting together boards like this was a common practice back in the day when Soviet uniforms were a hot thing. 100% original M43 (pentagonal) boards were tough to find back then, compared to the availability of original tunics. The same applies nowadays, but ten-fold. And presently, fake tunics themselves are being produced from antique-type fabrics in healthy numbers.

Be careful all.

Cheers,
    Richie

USSR Air Force Women's M43 UniformUSSR Air Force Women's M43 UniformUSSR Air Force Women's M43 UniformUSSR Air Force Women's M43 UniformUSSR Air Force Women's M43 Uniform

?

I know there are stories about picking up items from museums and having the garment stamped with inventory marks. What is your take on this practice? Did they go to the trouble of faking " Museum Items"? If you talk to people who have such items they will swear that every thing is genuine because of where they bought it and without being educated they don't know any difference. Thanks for the lesson and insight.

I have been to quite a few Ukrainian and Russian Military Museums. There were a lot of real Soviet and Third Reich uniform items on display - Most of them were genuine and quite rare. However, there were some "copies", and they stood out like sore thumbs...

Hi Marvin, museum inventory stamps are certainly being added to dubious items or in the case of German kit, fake items.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!