Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this a ww2 russian army uniform

Article about: Hi All I am very new to all this and have only just decided to spend some cash and get a uniform to wear at the next 40's weekend. I have been on ebay and seen what I thought was a good deal

Gabe
    ?

Default Is this a ww2 russian army uniform

Hi All
    I am very new to all this and have only just decided to spend some cash and get a uniform to wear at the next 40's weekend.
    I have been on ebay and seen what I thought was a good deal to start me off with a basic ww2 russian army uniform which I could add to over time. However now I have ordered it and it is winging it's way to me I have been doing a lot of research and am now worried that what I bought is not as the advert told me a genuine ww2 russian soldiers uniform. I think that it may be a cold war uniform from the 90's. Could anybody out there tell me what I have bought? If I do wear it to the 40's event that is coming up in the next couple of weeks will I be laughed out of the place by keen eyed professional re-enactors? What things do I need to be looking out for? If the uniform is OK what would you suggest is an important item I should purchase next?
    Any info would be greatly received
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a ww2 russian army uniform  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Is this a ww2 russian army uniform

Quote by Gabe View Post
    Hi All
    I have been doing a lot of research and am now worried that what I bought is not as the advert told me a genuine ww2 russian soldiers uniform. I think that it may be a cold war uniform from the 90's. If I do wear it to the 40's event that is coming up in the next couple of weeks will I be laughed out of the place by keen eyed professional re-enactors?
    First of all, welcome to our forum.

You have been mislead by the seller Gabe - IF he/she advertised this as "WWII"...

It is indeed Cold War vintage, but 70s/80s - No doubt about that.

If the re-enactors you meet up with this weekend are truly professional, they should not laugh at you, but assist you in acquiring what is correct.

IMO that is...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Hi Gabe, welcome to the forum!

Richie is correct in all his points. The uniform is not WW2 and the seller should and does know better. But all is not totally lost, as the pilotka cap would be ok with a wartime cap star added and the trousers would just about be passable as WW2 to get you started until the correct pattern can be found. But you will need to get a correct Obr35 or Obr43 pattern Gymastroika and a belt with an open frame buckle.

Have a look at my units website:

Home Page of the 2nd Guards Rifle Division

You will find advice and pics there of the correct pattern uniforms.

Where are you based?

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Gabe, and welcome to the board. Funny you should mention the bit about being laughed at as I and some fellow reenactors were having a discussion on our board about "Stitch-Nazis" and other know-it-all behavior that is directed at someone who is new. These self-appointed "authenticity-czars" do more harm, and drive more people away from our hobby than most other causes. As Adrian said, truly professional reenactors/living historians will help you rather than point out your short-comings.
    FWIW, I have ordered some repro gyms from a vendor that has only recently started to reproduce WWII Soviet items. When I get them, and make sure they are as advertised, I'll give you a shout, and you can purchase a new gym from him if you wish and you'll be in great shape.

Hope this helps, your madness may vary,

Warren

Gabe
    ?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have since emailed the chap in Ukraine and he has come clean and offered me a full refund and said to keep the uniform. I had ordered some boots too - hoping these are going to be OK.
    I'll be interested to hear what the repro shirts are like. Based in Worcester so will be going to Severn Valley Railway event - will have to be a civilian this time. Hope to have the basics of uniform for future event.

Hi Gabe, glad to hear that has worked out OK.

As you are in the UK, and if you are serious about portraying the RKKA, you should come and meet myself and 2nd Guards at an event

Hi Warren, drop me a PM re your supplier of repro Gyms. We have just found one and he is good.

Cheers, Ade.

The pilotka and sharovari is okay for a brand new Soviet reenactor - but the proper wartime pilotki had a lower 'top' to them than the post war varients. Use it for now, but eventually you want to find a better repro one.

Robin,
    By "lower top" do you mean it has a shallower crown? If so, by how much? I and pretty much everyone else I know are using post-war pilotkas. Some kind of hard numbers regarding the height of originals would help me a great deal. Thanks for your time and help.

Warren

Yes, the crown was more shallow than the 70's ones. Here is an example - I'll try and get some dimensions after this weekend.

Thanks Robin, problem is, no one I know is really reproducing these. I really would appreciate it if you could get some measurements, especially laying it flat on its side. That would be a big help.

Spaciba!

Warren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast