Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1940 pattern battle dress blouse (I think)

Article about: label is washed out. Note the lack of pleats on the lower front, although pleats are present on the back, the flat pockets, the exposed buttons and indeed the position of the buttons with no

Default 1940 pattern battle dress blouse (I think)

label is washed out. Note the lack of pleats on the lower front, although pleats are present on the back, the flat pockets, the exposed buttons and indeed the position of the buttons with none under the belt. Its also made from quite a thin material compared to the 37' and 49' pattern exaples I have.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 pattern battle dress blouse (I think)  

?

Default Re: 1940 pattern battle dress blouse (I think)

Looks like the "lightweight" denim version of the BD blouse to me as opposed to the normal wool serge one mate.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Good example of a 1940 Austerity pattern BD blouse.

Hi Ian, this is the wool blouse and not a denim. The colour is the first giveaway: later war denims are a grey / green shade, secondly the buttons on a denim are the removeable type and not sewn in place.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade, you're right again mate,
    I know that the denims were usually in a sickly grey/green colour and cut in 40ptn style, BUT, in my defence, I am sure that I have seen a couple of pics of the lightweight version in khaki which is why I said what I did, that and the fact that HD says that its in a "thin material compared to........." (My excuse and Im standing by it. ROFL!)

Regards etc
    Ian D

Hi Ian, you are thinking of the early war denims. They were a dark brown khaki colour. These have pleated breast pockets. (Hard to find now actually)

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Ade
    Cheers for that mate, I knew that I had seen a version some where.

Just had a quick re-check in one of my reference books, (The World War II Tommy, British Army Uniforms, European Theatre 1939-45, In Colour Photographs. by Martin Brayley & Richard Ingram. ISBN 1-82126-190-X Pub' by Crowood Press Ltd) and found a pic' of them on page 38, under "Early Denim Overalls"

The book is part of a series, not cheap at about 25GBP each but is a brilliant reference set for British uniforms and kit

Regards etc

Ian D

?

Good day Ian,

Is there any place where I can get bulk of this jacket, I am based in South Africa and there is a demand. Please respond

Regards,

George