Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1941 dated boots

Article about: I picked these boots up a few years ago for £1. I assumed they were civilian as the leather is very thin and of poor quality. I am going to use them for WW1 boots in an impression I am doing

Default 1941 dated boots

I picked these boots up a few years ago for £1. I assumed they were civilian as the leather is very thin and of poor quality. I am going to use them for WW1 boots in an impression I am doing, and as I was cleaning them tonight I noticed a makers mark of Wilkins and Denton, London Ltd 1941, but there's no WD acceptance stamps. I am guessing civilian boots wouldn't normally be dated so they could be military. I've added the hobnails, so originally they only had heel plates and are toe-cap-less. Do people think they are military? If they are then I guess they were RAF or Royal Navy.

1941 dated boots1941 dated boots

I am not a boot expert but these do not look like the standard Commonwealth Infantry boot - They were a lighter brown and were capped. These do have a military look but some quality made civilian boots were dated with the company logo. I hope someone can be of more assistance here. Cheers.

?

HI Chaps
    These are most likely RN WWII other ranks boots The RAF examples that I have are both made in the the same way with a 2nd thinner layer of leather stitched to the inside of the boot and one pair have rubber soles fixed with copper nails to stop sparks in the hangers and around the fuel browsers these where also used on the RAF AIR SEA RESCUE launches to stop slipping ( wellies where also worn on these launches )
    The RAF examples normally have an AM and Kings crown stamp on the inside around the ankle area of the boot or a RAF stamp on the inside sole of the boot
    With the RN examples only having a makers mark and date to the inside sole as they where not purchased by the war office but by the Admiralty and would some times have the admiralty acceptance stamp of an anchor set in a oval which wears of very quickly as they where stamped in ink.
    regards steve

Thanks Steve, very helpful. I am just amazed they passed muster as compared to my period army ammo boots the leather is appallingly thin!