Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

1st and 3rd Army Ike Jacket

Article about: Hello Everyone; So I bought a WWII Ike Jacket that has both the 1st and 3rd Army on it. The First is on the right and the 3rd is on the left sleeve. I'm not quite fluent with which patches c

Default 1st and 3rd Army Ike Jacket

Hello Everyone;

So I bought a WWII Ike Jacket that has both the 1st and 3rd Army on it.
    The First is on the right and the 3rd is on the left sleeve. I'm not quite fluent with which patches could be worn during the war.

So my question is why does it have both? Did he serve with both the 1st and 3rd?

Thanks
    Cody

Default Re: 1st and 3rd Army Ike Jacket

Cody, the Army allows you to wear the unit patch you served in combat with on the right shoulder. The current unit 3rd, is worn on the left shoulder. So this soldier saw combat with the 1st.

Burt

?

The 1st was one of the armies work horse divisions in North Africa and Europe. It fought in 8 campaigns and had 20,650 wounded and killed. It was credited with destroying the German 352nd Infantry Division at Normandy. Fought across France and spent 42 days fighting at the Battle of the Buldge and wound up in Czechoslovakia at the end of the war.
    It is a very good Ike jacket to own for your collection.

Thanks Burt; I wasn't sure if anything had changed since then. I think my problem is I just saw the two "A's" and thought something was wrong.

I have a problem with knowning the answer to my own question but for some reason I think it can't be right.