Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st Cavalry division ike jacket

Article about: Picked this up off etsy.com, love ww2 1st cav uniforms. The SSI has been one of my favs for awhile due to its size. Wondering if this might be an occupation piece due to the stitching.

Default 1st Cavalry division ike jacket

Picked this up off etsy.com, love ww2 1st cav uniforms. The SSI has been one of my favs for awhile due to its size. Wondering if this might be an occupation piece due to the stitching.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Cavalry division ike jacket   1st Cavalry division ike jacket  

Given the fancy cross stitch, I think you are correct in saying circa 1945-46 Army of Occupation.

Nice item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Given the fancy cross stitch, I think you are correct in saying circa 1945-46 Army of Occupation.

Nice item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade!

Hi there

As per Ade , cross stitching does refer to the end of the war and soldiers going home, plenty of time on their hands, so they would embellish there patches ie by cross stitching , having a white thread as a harness around the horse head.

However with that said GI's in the occupation Army (1946-48) tended to have local theatre made high quality excellent workmanship patches.

The First Team patch shown is standard US made WWII era SSI and is worn as the then current unit assigned.

Did the individual go home after the Philippines campaign Jan 1945 or did individual carry on to Japan sept 1945 thru to 1946?

To bad it doesn't show any overseas service bars (per 6 months) and or a 3 year service hash.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi there

As per Ade , cross stitching does refer to the end of the war and soldiers going home, plenty of time on their hands, so they would embellish there patches ie by cross stitching , having a white thread as a harness around the horse head.

However with that said GI's in the occupation Army (1946-48) tended to have local theatre made high quality excellent workmanship patches.

The First Team patch shown is standard US made WWII era SSI and is worn as the then current unit assigned.

Did the individual go home after the Philippines campaign Jan 1945 or did individual carry on to Japan sept 1945 thru to 1946?

To bad it doesn't show any overseas service bars (per 6 months) and or a 3 year service hash.

Phill
    Yeah the identification in it is a hand written last initial and last four on a little tag

No sign of OS bars beeing sewn. Shadows from collar discs are there tho, along with a puc shadow on the left pocket

I believe this uniform belonged to a late war replacement to the Division, and subsequently since the Soldier did not have enough points for rotation home was on Occupation Duty with the division; the lack of a former wartime service combat patch may indicate that this individual was enroute to the division and the war ended, but this is not a disqualifier; for many Soldiers did not add former wartime patches to their uniforms; but based on the rank I believe late for or post war Occupation Soldier.

I have several 11th Airborne Division post war Occupation Ike Jackets that have similar cross stitching on the uniforms. They are very impressive looking and to reemphasize what Mr. Lockett and Mr. Stevenson said I would also agree this is Occupation Period..

Smitty

Thanks everyone for the info.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I believe this uniform belonged to a late war replacement to the Division, and subsequently since the Soldier did not have enough points for rotation home was on Occupation Duty with the division; the lack of a former wartime service combat patch may indicate that this individual was enroute to the division and the war ended, but this is not a disqualifier; for many Soldiers did not add former wartime patches to their uniforms; but based on the rank I believe late for or post war Occupation Soldier.

I have several 11th Airborne Division post war Occupation Ike Jackets that have similar cross stitching on the uniforms. They are very impressive looking and to reemphasize what Mr. Lockett and Mr. Stevenson said I would also agree this is Occupation Period..

Smitty
    I owned a few 11th occupation shirts. The stiching and patches/ovals were beautiful.

Pictures of the laundry tag L7629 number matches the one inked in the top, also a 1945 dated quartermaster tag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st Cavalry division ike jacket   1st Cavalry division ike jacket  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast