Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set

Article about: Happy weekend to all! I recently picked up this set , and absolutely love it! It appears this fellow transferred out of the "Big Dead One" to the 71st. No name listed, but has the

Default 1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set

Happy weekend to all! I recently picked up this set , and absolutely love it! It appears this fellow transferred out of the "Big Dead One" to the 71st. No name listed, but has the service number N8897 or 1 a bit faded on the last number
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set   1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set  

1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set   1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set  

1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set   1st ID/71st ID Ike Jacket and pants set  

The 71st ID was a late participant in WW2 they arrived in the European theater in Feb 45 Le Harve France was their jumping off point went through Alsace-Lorraine, cross the Rhine, and went south to Coburg,Bayreuth,and Regensburg. They crossed into Austria, and eventually liberated Gunskirchen a sub camp of Mauthausen concentration camp.

They also linked up with the Russian forces, and made them the farthest America forces that headed east.

I was looking through my US uniforms, and this is the only one I have with a EIB. All of the others have either a CIB or no IBs.

?

I use this for searching laundry numbers.
    Search | WWII US Army Enlistment Records

So you have a 1 in 12 or 1 in 20 chance of ID"ing depending which number you choose. I'll let you look at the info provided

Semper Fi
    Phil

I appreciate the link Phil. I at least can look at both rosters of the 1st and 71st 😜

?

Also possibly if the uniform was local, maybe look at the state of enlistment as a path to follow, But if you have the rosters that's where I would start.

Keep us informed. I love it when we find a name to put with the uniform.
    I'm a sucker for happy endings

Semper Fi
    Phil

I will let you know if a name pops up. Thanks again Phil 😊

Very nice set & these are so underappreciated. I love them. First "71" I ever saw

Quote by real steel View Post
    Very nice set & these are so underappreciated. I love them. First "71" I ever saw
    I appreciate it real steel! They are underdogs in the fight. No swaz!

The 71st has a short and interesting history. Founded ar Fort Carson Colorado they were initially trained for jungle warfare, and the Pacific theatre, however, it didn't work out. They were sent to Europe , and had about a 60 days or so of combat. They were late arrivals on the scene, and took the southern route through Germany and Austria.

I will probably not find another one for it's a hard unit to collect due to its short lived status.

Thanks for the info. Much respect from me for someone that knows what they are collecting. Yes...quite interesting, another unit sent over to Europe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast