Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

Article about: Beautiful jacket, Andy................!

Default Re: 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

Beautiful jacket, Andy................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

A wonderful historic jacket in fine condition. The name evokes the clubs for servicemen located in New York City and Los Angeles. Both were staffed regularly by entertainers and movie stars. A 1943 movie with numerous stars of the time portrayed the Los Angeles club.
    The name Lacy may not indicate the owner's name but possibly that of the owner's lady. I have a jacket that had the mysterious name "glory's Boy" painted on the jacket. After locating the owner, a ball turret gunner, he related that was his nickname as he was very faithful to his girl back home Gloria.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by JGrey View Post
    His name is Lt. Col. James F. Grey, Ret., yes he's 87 and still alive in Sacramento, CA. Here is the entry from his log:

Mission 1: 28 June 1944
    Plane: Touch the Button Nell II
    Target: Reims, France (oil dumps and marshalling yards)

Very light flak about 10 minutes inside enemy coast, also light flak around Leon, France. One ship feathered #1 and aborted about 5 minutes from enemy coast. Bomb load consisted of two 2,000 lb. G.P. bombs. On the return trip we had to land at Ashfield due to weather closed in at our base. When we landed the hydraulic system in left wheel went out and we called our base for a plane to come and pick us up. Yates came and got us in “Stage Door Canteen”. Flying time for Mission #1 was 5 hours.

That was his first of 30 missions. He was in the same heavy bombardment group and squadron as the crew of Stage Door Canteen at the time.
    I wish someone would come and collect me in a B17!!!!!

30 missions thats quite impressive!!. You should go and see him armed with a video camera and just let him talk and talk about his time in the 381st.

Andy

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    A wonderful historic jacket in fine condition. The name evokes the clubs for servicemen located in New York City and Los Angeles. Both were staffed regularly by entertainers and movie stars. A 1943 movie with numerous stars of the time portrayed the Los Angeles club.
    The name Lacy may not indicate the owner's name but possibly that of the owner's lady. I have a jacket that had the mysterious name "glory's Boy" painted on the jacket. After locating the owner, a ball turret gunner, he related that was his nickname as he was very faithful to his girl back home Gloria.
    Bob,
    Thats an interesting thought on the name. But iv kind of come to terms with the fact i will most ikely never know.

Nice to see the jacket you where telling us about Andy, It's a real cracker you must be proud to own it

John

John,

Thanks mate.
    Its a great piece of history to have and now its in my hands it will be looked after for the generations of the future to admire.

Andy

Jgrey,
    This is a photo of his aircraft
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  

This is an original press photo i have of stage door canteen it goes really well with the Jacket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.   381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  

Mark Skaggs
    ?

I know this is an old thread, but I must comment that the jacket is awesome. My grandfather was a ball turret gunner on that plane. He is visible in some of the photos at the christening and in the movie news of the event. He's the little guy who smirks when the bottle doesn't break.

Mark,
    Thanks for recindling this old thread and thanks for your kind comments on my jacket.
    What was your grandfathers name? If you have any photos of him please add them I would love to see them.
    Andy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast