Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

Article about: Beautiful jacket, Andy................!

Default 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

Hi everyone,
    Im really happy to be showing you the latest addition to my 381st bomb group collection. It has its original artwork and original patch. It has been relined at some point in time but luckerly they left the original talon zipper on it (broken)
    It doesnt realy get any better than this (imo) This is from one of the most famous aircraft in the 8th. STAGE DOOR CANTEEN.
    I need to get it insured so if anyone has an idear of value it would be really helpfull.
    Please leave your comments i love to read them.
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.   381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  

381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.   381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  

381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  

Default Re: 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

Looks great Andy!!

The jacket appears to be what it says. The history for this a/c is well documented as it was 'christened' by Mary Churchill, daughter of Prime Minister Winston, with Hollywood stars Vivien Leigh and husband Laurence Olivier in attendance. She completed 105 missions and was scrapped after the end of the war.(See colour Photo of her at Kingman AFB's 'bone yard' below.

Taking into consideration this fine history makes the jacket very desirable, the kicker is that it's been re-lined, but if well done, this shouldn't affect the value too much. Have the original labels been retained? Is there any provenance? This all adds more to the value as you know. Whatever, I think it's original and worth between $4000-$5000. Add 20-30% for insurance purposes.

A little info for those interested:- B-17 # 42 - 31990 MS R " Stage Door Canteen "
    381st BG , 535th Sq.
    5/45 - Returned to U.S.
    2/46 - RFC Kingman Az. - Scrapped

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  
    Attached Images Attached Images 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.  381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch. 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default Re: 381st Bomb Group 535th bomb squad A2 Jacket with nose art & original patch.

love that squadron patch...

Thanks Ned
    This is a link to the original footage of the aircraft being named Mary Churchill christens bomber Stage Door Canteen
    I have an original press photo from when stage door ended her war and was sent home to the US i will post a photo when im home.
    As you say its a shame the jacket was relined but its been done to a top standard so it could be much worse. Im sorry to say the labels are gone. There is a name under one of the sholder's. the name is LACY but iv looked on the roster but cant find him at the moment.
    The story that came with the jacket was it belonged to a chap named SMITH but im still not sure about that.
    Andy

Quote by militarymania View Post
    love that squadron patch...
    Thanks militaryman the real deal are hard to come buy.
    Andy

JGrey
    ?

Hi, I know a gentleman who flew one mission on Stage Door Canteen, on June 28th, 1944. He was not part of the regular crew (had a different regular B-17 and crew), but knew Yates and all the others for your plane.

Cool what was//is his name? Is he still with us?
    Stage door canteen had lots of crews in her time with the 381st.
    Andy

?

Love that jacket Andy, its got to be worth a fair bit, why dont you try contacting the Confederate Airforce, see if they could help value it more precisely, i think they have a museum with aircrew clothing, not sure though, regards Dave

Try this guy. He deals in original patches and jackets as well as collecting them. I'm sure he'll help!

WWII AAC / AAF Squadron Insignia Patch Page ~ units below 200

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

JGrey
    ?

Quote by 381st digger View Post
    Cool what was//is his name? Is he still with us?
    Stage door canteen had lots of crews in her time with the 381st.
    Andy
    His name is Lt. Col. James F. Grey, Ret., yes he's 87 and still alive in Sacramento, CA. Here is the entry from his log:

Mission 1: 28 June 1944
    Plane: Touch the Button Nell II
    Target: Reims, France (oil dumps and marshalling yards)

Very light flak about 10 minutes inside enemy coast, also light flak around Leon, France. One ship feathered #1 and aborted about 5 minutes from enemy coast. Bomb load consisted of two 2,000 lb. G.P. bombs. On the return trip we had to land at Ashfield due to weather closed in at our base. When we landed the hydraulic system in left wheel went out and we called our base for a plane to come and pick us up. Yates came and got us in “Stage Door Canteen”. Flying time for Mission #1 was 5 hours.

That was his first of 30 missions. He was in the same heavy bombardment group and squadron as the crew of Stage Door Canteen at the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast