Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

46 pattern BD blouse

Article about: Very nice.I like that alot!

Default 46 pattern BD blouse

Just bought this one from Ebay, as a buy it now for a very good price. Seller had it listed as Australian, as the maker is the West Aukland clothing company, though they are a British company. Label says 46 pattern and 1948 dated, though it has had the open collar officers conversion done, which is a shame, but hey, I can't complain. It has leather football buttons and green backed captains rank pips and a pair of WWII date 7th Armoured division patches, which is nice.

These are the sellers pics and as always I will post better ones when it arrives.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 46 pattern BD blouse   46 pattern BD blouse  

46 pattern BD blouse   46 pattern BD blouse  

46 pattern BD blouse  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Default Re: 46 pattern BD blouse

Nice buy.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

NCA
    ?

Nice catch!Strangely enough you see about one of these to every ten 40patt...Nice that is has the patches.How come the pips arent yellow backed?I thought Armoured division pips were?

Also it has no cloth shoulder titles and it is possible that it has been messed with, or it might be that he was attached to the 7th armoured division but was not a tanker, but was from a unit that used green backed pips. More research is needed and maybe an answer will be provided one way or another.
    Regards,

Jerry

Looking at the pictures, he appears to have two green backed pips and then a third pip with the generic khaki backing, so I assume he was a lieutenant and was later promoted to Captain and used what pips he could.

Green backed pips were used by Reconnaissance corps, Dental corps and Intelligence corps whilst a darker green was used by Rifle corps, which does not appear to be the colour so the 3 former are the candidates IMO. He could have been in any of these and been attached to an Armoured division, though it depends on if there are any signs of having shoulder titles removed, and if that is the case, it might never be known which he was with, though if no traces are visible, I think Intel corps might be the most likely, though I would prefer it if he had been recon corps.

I might never know, unless it has his name and unit written inside it or on a tag.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, I think I would hestitate to call those pips green backed? I think they are the later versions of "khaki".

They are certainly not what I would call Recce, Intel green etc. BTW Recce was disbanded in 1946.

Here is a blouse of mine which I used to wear for re-enactment. It is an original but a 1946 dated, 40 pattern blouse. I (or I should say my Mum!) added all the insignia. Pips and wings are original. You will just be able to make out the green backing I hope. The other insignia is repro. I even made the lanyard myself.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 46 pattern BD blouse  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thanks Ade and I can see what you mean. My first thoughts were that the pips were the khaki type but I noticed that they are of two different shades of green. Do you know when the generic khaki pips were introduced. Good info on the demise of recce in 46, something I did not know.
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, generic worsted pips were actually the first type worn on BD, the coloured arm of service ones coming later. But the "green" looking pips to me look like the much later issues from the late 50's or 60's? I cannot date them exactly as post war kit is not really my thing. But they have a soft felt like feel to them.

Cheers, Ade.

Indeed Ade, I did some more research on Khaki pips and I have some sewn onto yellow backings as well as some Yellow examples. As to the ones on it, we will see when it arrives.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 46 pattern BD blouse  
    Regards,

Jerry

Arrived today.

You can see in the hand, but maybe does not show in the pics, that it had collar dogs at one time, though I can't see what they were for or if it had titles

you can also see clearly where the collar has been tailored to the open style which looks the same as the 49 pattern and was often done during the war on officers tunics so they could be worn with a shirt and tie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 46 pattern BD blouse   46 pattern BD blouse  

Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast