Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

7th Infanty Division "Bayonet Division" Ike jacket

Article about: Here is a rather nice condition Ike jacket from WW2. Its from a fellow who served in the 7th ID with ADSEC patch rank of SSGT. As you can see, the jacket still retains the ribbons and EIB wi

BTW the embroidered bombers wings doesn't look like a bomb😜

Quote by humble collector View Post
    BTW the embroidered bombers wings doesn't look like a bomb😜
    Ar you making fun of my error in an old thread? That's an aerial gunner wing.

Here's a mistake of mine where vodka interrupted the brain to hands typing...

Very Merry 8th AAF Christmas

Original thread for the blue back gunner wings:

8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

It is an interesting jacket. I am a little wary about the placement of both shoulder sleeve patches, they seem to be too low from the shoulder and to far forward. They should really line up with the shoulder epaulet and centered and the lack of the PTO ribbon for me is also a little concerning, with the 7th ID patch being the former wartime service (combat patch on the right sleeve)

Smitty

?

I missed the 2014 Christmas post Ed!!
    That was an awesome one

You know me and the 8thAF
    I'm lovin it!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    It is an interesting jacket. I am a little wary about the placement of both shoulder sleeve patches, they seem to be too low from the shoulder and to far forward. They should really line up with the shoulder epaulet and centered and the lack of the PTO ribbon for me is also a little concerning, with the 7th ID patch being the former wartime service (combat patch on the right sleeve)

Smitty
    You're right. I noticed the 7th ID was off but I don't always get too worked up about placement of SSI and ribbons given that regulations were less strictly adhered to then. But I also generally think of lower IDs being in Europe but the 7th was in the Aleutians and the PTO so I would expect to see an Asiatic-Pacific campaign ribbon in there. It wasn't until you brought this up that I went back and saw the HQ ETO and Communication Zone patch was way off as well and both are in the direction of rank patch which are slightly askew.

Anything is possible back then. Unfortunately this is not named or laundry marked.

Just a note on his then current unit is ETOUSACOMZ without the ADSEC tab.

The major difference was ETOUSACOMZ was based in England and ADSEC landed with First US Army and also supported Third US Army to provide close support after the breakout from Normandy.

ETOUSACOMZ was a massive and complex logistical operation which involved 380000 plus personnel and over 2.5 million tonnes of supply covering multiple bases (11) and 20 special staff sections.

Below is with additional ADSEC Tab , both British made. Both Tab and patch is unofficial(all theatre made patches are unofficial), the original US schiffli made is the official SSI only.

ETOUSACOMZ ADSECAttachment 1085135

If you look the bilateral patches unit and rank line up with one another. The arms and shoulders slumped inwards on the hanger. The jacket is a bit large the patches are forward set though.

Very nice!

Looks very close to mine! - My First Ike!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3