Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

8th AAC Shirts & Ties

Article about: I am putting together a grouping for an 8th Army Air Corp officer and Sergeant. I already have an officers tunic and a sergeants tunic. I now need to buy dress shirts and ties. I know that o

Default 8th AAC Shirts & Ties

I am putting together a grouping for an 8th Army Air Corp officer and Sergeant. I already have an officers tunic and a sergeants tunic. I now need to buy dress shirts and ties. I know that offiers shirts came in pink and dark OD. How about their ties? I see the dark OD ties but what color is the light tie. Is it the same color as is used for enlisted men or does it have a pink color as well. As to the sergeants tie, is it the same color used for army enlisted men? I am red/green color blind and want to make sure I get it right. Thanks.

Default Re: 8th AAC Shirts & Ties

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Officers ties can be dark OD (chocolate green) or light (tan) coloured olive drab. The dark tie was the same shade as the Officers four pocket tunic or Ike jacket. The tie was not pink like the trousers.

Enlisted and NCO's wore tan coloured OD ties, to match the shirt or black in the very early part of the war.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade,
    Thanks for the information especially the info that the officers ties were not pink. Is there a difference in color between the officers and NCO's tan colored OD ties/ Were the ties made out of both wool and or cotton?

Were the officers shirts "pink" like their trousers? My father who is 91 years old served in the 8th Army Air Corps, 388th Bomb Group in Knettishall England. I asked him these questions just yesterday and he can't remember. I enjoy the forum and find it to be a wealth of information.

No difference in colour between an Officers tan tie and an enlisted mans/ NCO's version. The ties were woolen for winter wear, cotton for summer. Officers, of course, bought their own kit and had the choice about the quality of items they purchased for themselves.

Officers could buy Pink coloured shirts.

US Army and USAAF Officers certainly had a good range of uniforms and colour combinations to choose from, more than any other Allied Army I think? The Chocolate tunic and Pinks is a classic appearance which the US Forces should never have changed.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade,
    Thanks for the additional information. I agree with with you 100% that the Army Air Corp officers uniform (chocolate & pinks) was a true classic and should never have been changed by the US Military. It was a beautiful uniform and would have stood the test of time and looks just as good today as it did during WWII.