Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

Article about: I just wanted to show off my new Ike jacket I found at a local antique store today. It was certainly an unexpected find. I was just taking my 37+ week pregnant wife out for a drive to get he

Very nice! Is that a grouping to the individual in the picture or is that your uncle?

The mannequin thing is tough. The nice full body ones are expensive. I ended up opting for some torso forms that are pretty reasonable but you can't attach pants. I plan to incorporate an antique table and lay the pants next to them. I have one set on the top of a bookcase for now.

MAP
    ?

Really nice score! I remember seeing these jackets as a kid in the surplus stores for nothing (obviously not one like yours). Never picked one up sadly.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Michael!

I remember going into antiques stores with my parents when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s and seeing WW2 stuff all over the place. Man, I wish I had taken an interest back then. It really seems like they were a dime a dozen.

MAP
    ?

Quote by aurelius180 View Post
    Thanks Michael!

I remember going into antiques stores with my parents when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s and seeing WW2 stuff all over the place. Man, I wish I had taken an interest back then. It really seems like they were a dime a dozen.
    Yup! The old saying..."if I could just go back in time"...
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

The last pic is of my Uncle second from the right bottom row just returning from a mission in March of 44. He was shot down on the April 13th 1944 Schweinfurt raid and spent the rest of the war in Stalag 17B. This pic was colorized by our very own BillT. The gent to my uncles left is Phil the left waist gunner who is still alive at 91 and sharper than a tack. I try to call him once a month to see what great info he can tell me. I have a 52min recorded conversation about his time in and what happened that day they were shot down.My uncle never spoke about those times and when Phil The waist gunner told me how 4 of the 10 man crew were killed during the attack and how the B17 exploded in mid air and they were blown out, I knew why mu uncle never spoke about it.

The medals I have together and gunner wings will be mounted on the TSgt jacket to honor my uncle all the rest is correct.
    I will have to get my kids camera for the 8thAF (Pilot) Captains uniform. That one is set up like yours with the 8th on the right shoulder and the AF on the left.

Semper Fi
    Phil

That's really great Phil! What a neat story and it's amazing that one of his crew, Phil, is still with us. I'm glad that you were able to record an interview with him and it's nice of you to call him. Back when I was a kid everyone's grandparents were in WW2 and it was kind of taken for granted. They really were the greatest generation and it's too bad we're losing them. Thankfully many, like you, have been able to preserve their memories.

?

It was a grouping that I picked up when I was looking for something to represent my uncles uniform. My family(his Kids) do not know where his are. So to honor him I had to start from scratch and just try and find the exact rank rate time in service with the 8thAF. After years of searching I found this group. It is perfect and just needed the correct ribbons and wings,

I like the halfy displays and those full size are on the $$$ side but I have the whole uniform. Visor cap,Jacket, shirts, tie, pants, belt and shoes. I gotta do the full thing!!!! I want to have the TSgt talking with the Captain while they stand near my cast iron Franklin stove.

Semper Fi
    Phil

The wings and ribbon bar is your uncle's original?

It's really great you're preserving your uncle's memory like that. I would give anything for either of my grandfathers' items. Both were in the navy and unfortunately all I have is a copy of one picture from my maternal grandfather.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    It was a grouping that I picked up when I was looking for something to represent my uncles uniform. My family(his Kids) do not know where his are. So to honor him I had to start from scratch and just try and find the exact rank rate time in service with the 8thAF. After years of searching I found this group. It is perfect and just needed the correct ribbons and wings,

I like the halfy displays and those full size are on the $$$ side but I have the whole uniform. Visor cap,Jacket, shirts, tie, pants, belt and shoes. I gotta do the full thing!!!! I want to have the TSgt talking with the Captain while they stand near my cast iron Franklin stove.

Semper Fi
    Phil

With a complete group like that you definitely have to go full mannequin. I look forward to seeing it when that day comes!

Since we're going all 8th AAF tonight, here is a 4 pocket tunic I have. This is double patched as well with AAF on the left sleeve and 8th AAF on the right. It also has a sewn on British made ribbon bar and Aerial Gunner sterling wings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast