Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

Article about: I just wanted to show off my new Ike jacket I found at a local antique store today. It was certainly an unexpected find. I was just taking my 37+ week pregnant wife out for a drive to get he

Default 8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

I just wanted to show off my new Ike jacket I found at a local antique store today. It was certainly an unexpected find. I was just taking my 37+ week pregnant wife out for a drive to get her out of the house.

It's double patched for AAF on the left sleeve and previous service in the 8th AAF on the right. It also has one metal overseas bar on the left sleeve. The best part is the bullion Aerial Gunner wings with a blue combat backing. The wings and ribbons appear to be theater made.

Unfortunately it is not named and there is no laundry mark that I can find.

Any comments are certainly appreciated. I think it all looks good but I'm by no means an expert.

?

Nice looking Ike!!!! I'm a 8thAF fan!!!
    I thought the blue back ground for the Gunner wings were only allowed in theater.
    It a nice looking Bullion wing!
    Great pick up while helping the wife get some fresh air!!!!!! Good Man and Great find!!!!!
    Way to multitask!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil! Definitely an unexpected find! I do the best I can for her.

Here's what she got me for Christmas: Very Merry 8th AAF Christmas

I was pretty psyched to find it. My wife appreciates my passion for collecting but found it a little odd when I ran (literally) over to it. At that point I had only seen the 8th AAF patch. It wasn't until I got closer I saw the wings and ribbon bar. I didn't notice the Brit overseas bar until i put it on the counter to pay.

?

You most definitely have yourself a fine woman!!!!!!!!!
    It looks like your 8th patch is the felt type. Is the AF patch on the other shoulder the same type?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you for the compliment on the wife! I very much agree. With her out of work for the time being and ready to pop I had no intentions of adding to the collection. She didn't hesitate in saying yes when I indicated I wanted to purchase it.

Honestly, I'm by no means an expert but the S/Sgt ranks patches feel like felt. The rank patches don't have the normal weave. I don't think the AAF patch is felt but could be mistaken.

Here's a pic of the AAF patch:

?

I'm not an expert either. I just started in 2009 collecting 8th AF uniforms since I found out about my Uncles service with the 8thAF 384th BG 545thBS as a Gunner. His final position when he was shot down was as the tailgunner on the B17 "Mrs Geezil"

From what I have read, a lot of felts were from the UK. The AF patch looks like the normal weaved stateside made AF. Great looking Jacket . So have you found a name stamped in it anywhere?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I will also do a little digging and find the list of Bomb Groups that used the blue back ground to show combat crew status. I know it was not done by all the 8thAF BG.
    SF
    Phil

Unfortunately no name or laundry number that I can find. It came from a multi-dealer shop but was told the Ike came from the owner of the shop. I plan on following up to see if I can find where it came from.

If you feel like posting some items I would love to see them.

I don't have a particular area of interest but collect simply for the history and preservation of the items. I also love Warrelics and spend most of my time here learning. I can mostly only contribute to the US section so I do as much as I can to try and further the database to help others. My 3rd reich collection is rather small (at the moment) and find US items more accessible.

It's my understanding that the blue back was for individuals assigned to combat duties and only for their time assigned as such. My understanding is that some who were not combat crew or pilots would get their hands on wings and wear them in town for the ladies. Those with the blue backs could "verify" their status. As with much regulation at the time, some would push those boundaries. i.e. those who were eligible to wear the blue back would keep them affixed as long as they could, even when not on assignment.

?

Here is a pic of the TSgt uniform. I picked up to honor my Uncle Joe's service. I want to do the mannequin thing but I'm trying to find a deal on one that does not have that feminine model look.

8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike8th AAF Blue Back Bullion Aerial Gunner Ike

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast