Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

8th Air Force B-14 Jacket

Article about: Here is a WW2 USAAF B-14 jacket . Not mint. Has a few moth nips but overall still in nice condition. Belonged to a technical Sgt with the 8th Air Force. Nice bullion 8th Air Force and Wings

Cheer Mate,
    Just noting -going by mine these are of a mustard colour similar to the early trousers comparing to the standard service jacket & Ike jackets. Also the B13/14's preceded the Ike.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-29-2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: added text

With all the information coming out about the patches and possible service history of the airman I think you got the best item of the day. Now if it only had the proper collar disks...

MAP
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cheer Mate,
    Just noting -going by mine these are of a mustard colour similar to the early trousers comparing to the standard service jacket & Ike jackets. Also the B13/14's preceded the Ike.
    The color of mine matches to the photo with the Sgt strips.

This is turning out to be an interesting pick up.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by Politefaun View Post
    With all the information coming out about the patches and possible service history of the airman I think you got the best item of the day. Now if it only had the proper collar disks...
    LoL...yes. Thanks for finding the disks.

And to think...this was kind of a late in the day purchase. I missed out on the double set of WW1 Captain "chemical warfare" tunics. If I didn't mention it, I never would have been shown this one. Agree. The buy of the day.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    MAP,

A great looking uniform and I can't add anymore that hasn't been said.. The HQ ETO patch is rather odd but I have seen stranger combat patches.. I will have to do some digging to see the possible criteria..

I am thinking ( and this is just pure speculation)... that since this senior NCO most likely completed 25 missions, was a member of a lead plane combat air crew (as indicated by the blue backed wings) then this person may have been assigned to HQ ETO at the end of the war and instead of placing the 8th Air force patch on the right sleeve, chose to put the HQ ETO on the right instead, rather than removing the 8th and then having to have both resewn to the uniform on the opposite sleeves..

Not sure.. just a hunch for now...

Smitty
    That should be that the 8thAF is on the right and the ETO on the left. That is what had me stumped. But I wasn't sure what the ETO folks did and could he of did ETO first and then flew. That is what has me confused with this configuration. But like I had mentioned I did not have any knowledge of what the ETO patch was and what they did for it to work out correctly

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by MAP View Post
    The color of mine matches to the photo with the Sgt strips.

This is turning out to be an interesting pick up.
    Old Pic of mine with the early mustard pants (well issued)
    & a service jacket with the mustard trousers for comparison.
    Wifey did get rid of that dastardly ugly lamp shade!

MAP
    ?

Very nice. Knew you would have a set. So hard to tell these colors but yours definitely appear to be different. Will need to take mine outside again and compare to yours

Who made yours? The few I've seen were made by the same firm as mine.

I found some helpful links

This one has the same bullion patch and wings

USAAF B-14 Enlisted flight jacket display - FLIGHT CLOTHING - U.S. Militaria Forum

WW2 USAAF B-14 Jacket, Enlisted mens, Flight - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Sadly my tag has been de-mobbed so I'm not sure!

MAP
    ?

25 names through the 69 with that laundry #.........frustrating. Only found two of the 69 in the American Air Museum websit list and neither were matches....and so I go on....

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    25 names through the 69 with that laundry #.........frustrating. Only found two of the 69 in the American Air Museum websit list and neither were matches....and so I go on....
    Research is a bitch sometimes. Very time consuming and tedious work. But when you get it!! The reward is awesome

The hard work is very gratifying !

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast