Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch

Article about: I decided to show another WW2 Ike out of my collection. This is a rather nice and rare piece of history. This fellow was in The short lived Far East Air Force stationed in the Philippines. I

Default 8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch

I decided to show another WW2 Ike out of my collection. This is a rather nice and rare piece of history. This fellow was in The short lived Far East Air Force stationed in the Philippines. It's inception was November of 41 Luzon, and was basically destroyed by the Japanese invasion of the Philippines December 41. February of 42 it became tha 5th AF.

This fellow was a sergeant probably in the 803d Engineering Battalion, Aviation by his cyphers. One of the lucky chaps to have been evacuated! As you can see he was transferred to the 8th AF European theater of operations.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch   8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch  

8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch   8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch  

8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch  
    Last edited by humble collector; 06-11-2017 at 06:08 PM.

I'm very fortunate to have found this jacket, and especially fully intact with all of the accouterments

Nice jacket

This fellow sported his Army good conduct medal off . I've seen a few walking out jackets with the good conduct medal on it.

The really odd scenario for this fellow is why he was sent to Europe instead of staying in theater. The FEAF was reorganized in Darwin Australia Feb of 42 into the 5th AF. Maybe went home on leave post evac from the Philippines, and was either cheaper to send him to Europe or he was needed in the massive build up of the 8th.

?

If he was with the 8th AF shouldn't he be sporting a Europe-Africa-Middle East campaign ribbon also?

Any names/laundry # stamped on it??

Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Pocket items

Hi Phil,

This fellow may have just simply not place the campaign ribbon on. Hell I didn't put all of my ribbons on my uniform for I had an updated dress and an older uniform I didn't update due to poor fit.

However, I rummaged through the fellows pockets, and found something even better 😜

- - ------- - -

How about the depot tag, and the fellows dog tag!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch   8th Air Force Ike Jacket with rare FEAF oatch  

It appears he went with the more subdued cuff patches, and left the others in his right breast pocket

?

I love 8th AF items.
    I'm guessing with this Gent being a part of an engineering battalion, he would have been responsible for Airfield maintenance/Base support.
    Would that be correct???

Semper Fi

Phil

You got it Phil. They were responsible for the maintenance, creation, and building of the airfields along with other tasks. Drainage ditches, building construction like hangars a very important job indeed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast