Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

8th Canadian Hussars brassard with autograph

Article about: I had the good fortune to hear retired Canadian General Hillier speak at a local dinner. Very interesting man with a lot to say about the state of affairs. I very briefly talked with him, an

Default 8th Canadian Hussars brassard with autograph

I had the good fortune to hear retired Canadian General Hillier speak at a local dinner. Very interesting man with a lot to say about the state of affairs. I very briefly talked with him, and I got him to sign my brassards from his first posting. Just thought I would show them...

taken from Wikipedia:

He was posted to his first regiment, the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) in Petawawa, Ontario, and subsequently to the Royal Canadian Dragoons in Lahr, Germany. He has also served as a staff officer at Force Mobile Command Headquarters at CFB St. Hubert in Montreal, and at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa. He commanded 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (2 CMBG) from 1997 as Deputy Commanding General of III Armoured Corps of the United States Army, at Fort Hood, Texas. In January 1998, as Commander 2 CMBG, he led Operation Recuperation, the Canadian Forces' intervention in the paralysing ice storm in Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick. He went on to command the Multinational Division (Southwest) in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

He was named Chief of the Land Staff, commanding the Canadian Army, on May 30, 2003.[2] He is noted for his public calls for increased resources for the Canadian Forces.[3] In 2003, when he was appointed Chief of the Land Staff, he said, "Any commander who would stand up here and say that we didn't need more soldiers should be tarred and feathered and rode out of town on a rail."[4] After serving as Chief of the Land Staff and before being appointed Chief of the Defence Staff, he commanded the NATO ISAF in Afghanistan from February 9 to August 12, 2004.

On February 4, 2005, he became Chief of the Defence Staff. At the change-of-command ceremony he repeated his call, more broadly, for increased military funding. "In this country, we could probably not give enough resources to the men and women to do all the things that we ask them to do," he said, with Prime Minister Paul Martin and Defence Minister Bill Graham looking on. "But we can give them too little, and that is what we are now doing. Remember them in your budgets."[5]

On 15 April 2008, Hillier announced he would step down as CDS on 1 July 2008.[6]

Hillier was subsequently appointed as chancellor of Memorial University of Newfoundland, effective July 3, 2008.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 8th Canadian Hussars brassard with autograph  

Default Re: 8th Canadian Hussars brassard with autograph

Oh, I thought it was cool his name his troops gave him was ' The Cod Father', since he's from Newfoundland...

Default Re: 8th Canadian Hussars brassard with autograph

Neat history thanks for showing.

Eric