Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Always Check The Pockets

Article about: Hello everyone, Just wanted to share pictures of a neat jacket that I picked up at an estate sale recently. When I got home I was surprised to find some identification tucked in the front po

?

Default Always Check The Pockets

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share pictures of a neat jacket that I picked up at an estate sale recently. When I got home I was surprised to find some identification tucked in the front pocket. You never know for sure but I'm assuming that he (Robert G. Canard) was the owner. According to NARA records, Mr. Canard was drafted in 1941 at the age of 28. He entered the service in Richmond, Va. Mr. Canard was from Upperville in Fauquier County, Virginia, which is big horse country. Prior to the war he worked as a stableman on a horse farm. Just a guess, but his proximity to Washington, D.C. (Washington Army Group) and civilian work experience may have influenced his army unit and assignment to the CBI. Could he have been an army mule skinner? Mr. Canard passed away in 1975 and at that time lived in Front Royal, Virginia. Interestingly, this Northern Virginia town was the location of the Front Royal Remount Depot where he possibly may have worked or trained at some point during his service.

I was curious about the CBI patch.....Does it look theater-made?

Thanks for looking.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Always Check The Pockets   Always Check The Pockets  

Always Check The Pockets   Always Check The Pockets  

Always Check The Pockets   Always Check The Pockets  

Attached Images Attached Images Always Check The Pockets  Always Check The Pockets 

Nice, perhap he was French, Canard = Duck
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Tom,

Great uniform grouping.. Now to get the records from NARA (if they weren't lost in the fire)...With the CBI connection and his Cavalry collar brass, I'm sure that his skills were used in theater with animals....

Hopefully you can pull the file and get the rest of the story....

The CBI patch is theater made.. A beautiful bullion example...

?

Stunning find, Tom!
    Absolutely lovely tunic and the ID makes it even more special.
    Unfortunately, Mr. Canard’s obituary only notes that he served in the US Army in WW2, so no further help there, I’m afraid.

The CBI insignia is a fine example. I wonder if it may be Indian made... (though cannot be certain).
    Well done,
    Bob

Hi friends

great find, well done.

CBI is Indian made.

Major difference Chinese used silk and were very detailed in hand made design , Indian manufacturers used cotton, felt,wool wire embroidery and goat skin (NOT Leather=beef) etc.. , Burma hard to describe , what I have seen the odd patch,was very crude.

Phill

?

Thanks everyone for your comments and information. If I can find more information about Mr. Canard I'll pass it along.

Tom