Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt help

Article about: I recently acquired, what I believe is a WW2 Era Argyll Southerland Highlander battledress and kilt. From what I could research, it seems that it has 3rd Battalion markings, with 1944 dated

?

Default Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt help

I recently acquired, what I believe is a WW2 Era Argyll Southerland Highlander battledress and kilt. From what I could research, it seems that it has 3rd Battalion markings, with 1944 dated tag on a 1940 pattern Battledress. The faded Broad Arrow Stamp appears to have number 223..with some unreadable letters ?
    This Battledress came with a Kilt that appears to be WW2 Green/Black Government Pattern color that is consistent with an Argyll Southerland Highlander/ Black Watch pattern Kilt. This Kilt has a well worn out tag that a has a Glasgow making. There are some , what appears to be name(s), ID number ? Inside the waste band. “SF 100539 PT” and “DUNN H A” is stenciled on it.
    I know nothing about Kilts and any information, authenticity, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Any help on the Battledress, Kilt and info on the Argyll Southerland Highlander “3rd Battalion” WW2 history, would be greatly appreciated.

Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  helpArgyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help   Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help  

Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help   Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help  

Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help   Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help  

?

Also. Is there a way that I could research the Soldier’s name “Dunn HA” and the ID? “SF 100539 PT”..??

?

i assume the 2 red bars under the battledress ‘ flash patch signifies the 3rd battalion. I have been trying to research any WW2 history of the 3rd battalion, but can not find any. Can anybody shed some light on the 3rd battalions WW2 history? Any thoughts?

?

Excuse me. The “3 red bar/stripes” under the flash patch.

Nice set! I believe that when the British army adopted the battle dress patterns they initially had a system of colored bars to differentiate between regiments and battalions ( some were red some brown some green, blue , etc... and some were oriented vertically or horizontally). The purpose being to be less distinguishable to enemy intelligence. But I believe they went back to the regimental shoulder title and division patch in the mid war period so it seams a bit odd that a 1944 dated blouse would have these. But perhaps I’m a bit off. The kilt appears correct and the blouses broad arrow has an “M” above it (denoting 1944) and is flanked by a “W” on the left and a “D” on the right (War Department)

?

The three red bars denote the Third or junior Bn of the Brigade not the Third Bn of the Argylls. Above the bars would have been the Divisonal tac sign flash . Nice BD and a tall man for the 40's !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I beleive this BD refers to either 154 Brigade 51st Highland Division made up of 1st and 7th Black Watch and 7th Argylls or possibly the 227 Higfhalnd Brigade of 15 Scottish Division , whose junior Bn was rhe 2nd Argylls !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi there

Looks like its missing a formation sign between the Regt Flash and the Bde bars.

Below is 7th Bn ASH 51st Div.

Argyll Southerland Highlander Battledress and Kilt  help

Phill

?

Thank you all so very much. Correct me if I’m wrong, but It seems so confusing as to different individual units are combined to make up larger units. I am used to looking at WW2 US units, so I guess it is like a Division is incorporated into the larger army? I am very new with British Battledress and Units.
    Phil! Thank you for your insight as to possibly missing the square “HD” patch between the checkered patch and the 3 red bars.
    After taking a closer look at my BD, there seems that there “could be” a very faint shadow of a similar square patch. I sssume this would be the formation patch for the 7th Bn ASH 51st Division. ??
    If this is correct, during WW2, where was this unit active?
    I truly appreciate everybody’s input!

?

Also, The way the Battledress patches are, as it now appears on my BD, could this be correct? Would there be any particular reason the soldier would remove the formation patch? Leaving the unit? Reassigned?
    I’m just trying to figure out if this BD is complete OR the “HD” patch should be on both shoulders?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast