Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ATS 1941 Service Dress, Royal Artillery, Northern Command

Article about: Hiya Rob, if you could show your wife's old uniforms I would like to see them. Cheers, Lez.

Default ATS 1941 Service Dress, Royal Artillery, Northern Command

Hi Lez

I thought I would add one of my ATS uniforms to complement the ones you have been posting. This is the item that prompted me to ask about the coloured strips in your ATS raincoat thread.

This is a 1941 Pattern ATS Service Dress jacket, which belonged to W/302212 Serjeant Henderson. She was attached to the Royal Artillery and has an RA collar badge on the left breast. She wore the formation patches of Northen Command, which has it's HQ in York, and had several RA units attached. I don't know her exact posting, but I'm pretty sure she wasn't Ack-Ack.

As you can see in the photos, it has a yellow strip at the bottom of each strap, which I have never been able to properly identify. I am sure this isn't an officer cadet strip as it is distinctly yellow, not white. It does appear identical to the ones in the photo you posted in the rancoat thread, which is why I was so excited to see it Coats, Rainproof, ATS. (Rare item)

Some detail shots:

Printed Northern Command formation sign and Serjeant stripes. The formation sign was a tribute to Northern Command's 1940-41 commander, Lt-General Sir Ronald Adam, and represents 'Adam's Apple'

Shoulder strap with ATS title and yellow cloth strip. I like the way the holes for attaching the title are neatly cut out and then reinforced with thread. Very much unlike men's uniforms which are usually just cut and pinned

Royal Artillery collar badge, mounted on red backing and worn as a breast badge.

ATS Lanyard, worn on right shoulder and attached to a key of some sort, a padlock key I would think.

Her name written in ink, in the neck area.

The jacket came with her named skirt and a photograph of a small group of ATS and Army personnel, although it's not clear if she is in the photo or not. I will post this later.

Rob

Default Re: ATS 1941 Service Dress, Royal Artillery, Northern Command

Hyai Rob, it is a lovey tunic. Can't wait to see the other bits. Interesting to see a potential non Ack - Ack related RA attached tunic. I have a Northern Command service dress too.

I have never been able to find (yet) any written references to these coloured slip on's. When I was in the WRAC, we had training groups who were defined by coloured slip ons. I don't know if we inherited this from the ATS or not? Another theory would be they were company colours?

The tape used on yours is very similar in weave to one on my friends blouse with the green middle stripe which we mentioned the other day.

Ade says he recalled seeing one with an orange coloured slip on once.

Cheers, Lez.

Glad you liked it Hopefully one day some research gem will identify the strip. Interesting that the WRAC used them though, but i guess they could be used to differentiate between any kind of group.

Here is the photo that came with the uniform:

An interesting group for sure, particularly as it shows the use of the RA gun badge by the ATS Staff Serjeant on the left. She has what appears to be an officer cadet white band around her cap, although it could be something else.

The obvious inference would be that Henderson is the Serjeant on the right, as she has the same insignia and rank (although without formation sign or lanyard), although it is definitely not the same jacket, as the one in the picture is the earlier pattern with pleated pockets. It is possible, of course, that she was the one taking the picture, as there is no notation on the photo.

The man in the middle is a classic 'old soldier', and looks straight out of 'Dad's Army' He's definitely artillery, as he has the white lanyard (I think they are all RA), and could actually be Home Guard, as HG men were on the strength of many Ack-Ack and Coastal Batteries.

It's a great shot anyway

Rob

Hi Rob, that is a super pic. I do like the old boy in the middle too. Classic.

There was a Home Guard AA battery not too far from my parents home during the war but not trace remains due to modern building work.

Here is Lez's Northern Command ATS SD jacket which is part of a husband/wife group we jointly own: I posted it for Lez back in 2009:

Husband and wife group: ATS service dress uniform and 1st pattern service dress cap

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Hiya Rob, I reckon you right on the white cap band. Love her rank badges too.

I know how you feel on the pic: I have a large twin photo album set from a lady in the MTC. Of course everyone is named in it, bar her: you don't exactly need to put your own name in your own photos do you. She did put one crazy comment about being "the one in the purple socks", but it was a B&W print

Cheers, Lez.

Nice Tunic Rob got to love a lady in uniform.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Here is Lez's Northern Command ATS SD jacket which is part of a husband/wife group we jointly own: I posted it for Lez back in 2009:

Husband and wife group: ATS service dress uniform and 1st pattern service dress cap
    Having looked at that jacket, I noticed that it has the lanyard on the opposite side, and just realised that the ATS lanyard on mine is being worn 'artillery fashion' on the right shoiulder

I know it's removable, but it seems to have been there for ever, so I'm assuming it wasn't moved post-war.

Rob

Hi Rob, more food for thought on the slip on issue.

Mary Churchill and others with a dark coloured slip on.

Princess Elizabeth inspecting a group.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ATS 1941 Service Dress, Royal Artillery, Northern Command   ATS 1941 Service Dress, Royal Artillery, Northern Command  

Quote by larissa View Post
    Hi Rob, more food for thought on the slip on issue.

Mary Churchill and others with a dark coloured slip on.

Princess Elizabeth inspecting a group.

Cheers, Lez.
    Thanks for those

Seems they were common enough then, which makes it more frustrating that we can't find any evidence of what they were for!!!

Keep digging I suppose...

Rob

Quote by Eric Zentner View Post
    Nice Tunic Rob got to love a lady in uniform.

Eric
    Yes indeed...

I actually have my wife's uniforms from her Cadet and Canadian Army days.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast