Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ATS Ack-Ack Officers uniform group

Article about: Hiya Hal, thanks. I really like to buy groups. In fact, it is almost all I buy now. ATS collecting has get more expensive in recent years. Price have gone up a lot. WAC stuff is nice too. Ch

Default Re: ATS Ack-Ack Officers uniform group

Hiya Hal, thanks. I really like to buy groups. In fact, it is almost all I buy now. ATS collecting has get more expensive in recent years. Price have gone up a lot.

WAC stuff is nice too.

Cheers, Lez.

I did forget to mention that "Ack-Ack" (Anti Aircraft) was the glamour branch of service for ATS girls. It was as close to frontline fighting as the girls could get. They were not (officially!) allowed to fire the guns. Instead they worked on the predictors working out height and range etc. They also crewed the searchlights.

I have been lucky to meet many Vets who were in Ack-Ack. In my local Vets association we had several.

There is a nice memorial to the girls who served and I will get a pic next time we visit once I am more mobile again.

Cheers, Lez.

Great uniform group, and great photos of the themed wedding - even if
    you cannot tell who the groom is. Lol, I expect it is one of the
    guys in green.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, LOL. The groom is the one in Service Dress and Sam Brown belt.

Did you know Lez and I had a 40's wedding? We got married in the Old Church at Oosterbeek, Arnhem.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ahh yes, the Lieutenant with the M4 'Grease gun'.

Your wedding sounds so very romantic. I suppose this was
    before you got the jeep ? You'll have to post some pics !
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, we actually got married only 8 years ago.

Just a few pics here. Twin 20mm Polsten guns in front of the Church, three 75mm Pack Howizer gun salute when we came out of church. Half of the church filled with fellow re-enactors, the other with Vets & family. Took two years to arrange it all. Fantastic day!

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arnhem 2004 025.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	318011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	235.2 KB 
ID:	318012  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arnhem 2004 017.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	318013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnhem 2004 091.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	318014  

Name:	111-1152_IMG.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	251.7 KB 
ID:	318015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arnhem 2004 129.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	318016  

Name:	arnhem 2004 021.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	318017  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Great idea. Looks like you all had a wonderful day !
    Must have been hot in those woolies ?
    Regards,

Steve.

As our wedding was in Sept it was fine: but Mark's wedding on a June day in the 70's was a bit warm! But I am used pretty used to wearing BD. The secret is to press it well. The trousers being baggy are not too bad. The BD blouse being more closer fitting is warmest.

Cheers, Ade.

I've occasionally worn BD. They are great though for cold, wet
    and rainy days of remembrance in November - keep you
    warm and toasty.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

I always enjoyed looking at that grouping Did ATS officers in the Ack Ack involve in those duties because I don't remember seeing officer rank in any period photos or films?
    I have a enlisted ATS Ack Ack tunic and skirt in my collection, obviously not as smart as the officer version but I see more ATS officer uniforms than enlisted, I wonder why that is?
    Prices have risen for womens service stuff. I only started collecting a few years ago and I can remember buying it for 90 off ebay.

Quote by larissa View Post
    I did forget to mention that "Ack-Ack" (Anti Aircraft) was the glamour branch of service for ATS girls. It was as close to frontline fighting as the girls could get. They were not (officially!) allowed to fire the guns. Instead they worked on the predictors working out height and range etc. They also crewed the searchlights.

I have been lucky to meet many Vets who were in Ack-Ack. In my local Vets association we had several.

There is a nice memorial to the girls who served and I will get a pic next time we visit once I am more mobile again.

Cheers, Lez.
    Last edited by shinsakuto; 04-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast