Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Aussie Wool Service Jacket

Article about: Powered up my cam and back with some photos! Tunic is the later pattern one, as said before, with less pleats and no external lower pockets, dated 1945. The trousers are the ones that came f

Default Re: Aussie Wool Service Jacket

Luke, lithgow, thanks for the excellent info provided! I really appreciate it!

Regards, Giorgos

PS: At the time I replied to the thread, I mistakenly remembered that the Sacred Squadron officer was a 2nd Lt., while he actually was a Captain. Not relevant to the thread, but just noticed it and thought to make things right. The rest of the grouping can be found here: Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform

AIF
    ?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Hello-to clarify AIF's post, the 2nd AIF were all volunteers for overseas service-the militia were mostly conscripts required to serve in Australia for home defence initially but this was extended to the islands to the north of Australia after the Japanese entered the war-doing so was controversial at the time as there was a long and bitter struggle from WW1 onwards about not conscripting troops for overseas service- the Volunteer Defence Corps (VDC) was the Australian equivalent of the British Home guard-part time, made up of those not eligible for regular service.
    Thanks for adding Lithgow, youre spot on mate! forgot to mention that bit, the militia was first sent overseas due to the fact that New Guinea was regarded as Australian soil and had been in our possesion since 1914 when Australian soldiers and sailors of the ANMEF landed there to capture the radio station and German military out post, which I think was actually the first action of the first world war, and It was given to us in 1918 when all Germanys assets were divided up, there was a lot of resentment towards the militia by the 2ndAIF calling them "chockos" (chocolate soldiers) because they though that under the heat of battle they would melt, or koalas because they were not to be exported or shot at, how wrong they were! one of the greatest battles in Australian military history was fought and won by these chokos when 500 men of the 39th militia battalion came up against 2500 of the best combat troops in the Japanese army on the Kokoda track and won, This was the first time anyone had beaten the Japanese

AIF
    ?

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    Luke, lithgow, thanks for the excellent info provided! I really appreciate it!

Regards, Giorgos

PS: At the time I replied to the thread, I mistakenly remembered that the Sacred Squadron officer was a 2nd Lt., while he actually was a Captain. Not relevant to the thread, but just noticed it and thought to make things right. The rest of the grouping can be found here: Greek Sacred Squadron Captain uniform
    No worries Giorgos If you ever need any info just ask mate and I will do my best to help you out.

G'day All
    Tomorrow I'll plan (I mean plan) to pull out all of my Aussie wool jackets that are accessible and post them here before the Wifey gets home!
    not a lot there that's really special but I figured I show you what I have
    for those who maybe interested
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-13-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    G'day All
    Tomorrow I'll plan (I mean plan) to pull out all of my Aussie wool jackets that are accessible and post them here before the Wifey gets home!
    not a lot there that's really special but I figured I show you what I have
    for those who maybe interested
    I look forward to seeing them.

Good to see these, as Ade said, you don't see them over here.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    I look forward to seeing them.

Good to see these, as Ade said, you don't see them over here.

Cheers Jerry
    Wifey allowed me to take out the tub, so I have a start for the morning

G'day All
    Here's most of what I have left, I have a bunch more but they are too hard to find for the moment
    enjoy the colour variations

And a footnote- I've never seen a 44 dated one
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-14-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added text

It's no wonder I don't see these for sale, as obviously Rene, you have them all. Very nice and great to see these. For sure, on my wanted list one day.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3