Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aussie Wool Service Jacket

Article about: Powered up my cam and back with some photos! Tunic is the later pattern one, as said before, with less pleats and no external lower pockets, dated 1945. The trousers are the ones that came f

Default Aussie Wool Service Jacket

G'day All

Just for your interest, here's a woollen service jacket QLD mfg 42.
    This is one I just pulled out of my pile of US HBT shirts!
    I have a lot more of these & the later model and eventually I'll post my more interesting examples later in this post

Default Re: Aussie Wool Service Jacket

Here's a few more.
    Note the inspectors stamps!

two extra shots

Hi Rene, thanks for sharing these with us.

You just don't see these over here, so it is nice to be able to study one, even if only online This is the great thing about the forum and it's truly International nature.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Rene!

Nice tunics, great to see! These are not very common in Greece, either... I missed a nicely badged Sergeant tunic some time ago and I still regret it. I got a later unbadged 1945 dated example though, in mint condition and I would like to ask some questions about it!

Are these unbadged tunics (no collar badges etc.) unissued ones? Mine looks like yours -later pattern though- and it seems like it was never actually worn! Plus, when were the later examples first issued? Was it 1942 or 1943? Unfortunately I can't use it for an impression in the greek campaign in 1941, but maybe there's still some chance for an african campaign one...

Regards, Giorgos

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    Hi Rene!

Nice tunics, great to see! These are not very common in Greece, either... I missed a nicely badged Sergeant tunic some time ago and I still regret it. I got a later unbadged 1945 dated example though, in mint condition and I would like to ask some questions about it!

Are these unbadged tunics (no collar badges etc.) unissued ones? Mine looks like yours -later pattern though- and it seems like it was never actually worn! Plus, when were the later examples first issued? Was it 1942 or 1943? Unfortunately I can't use it for an impression in the greek campaign in 1941, but maybe there's still some chance for an african campaign one...

Regards, Giorgos
    G'day Giorgos

Sorry for my late reply, my earliest 2nd patt is dated 42 and my latest 1963 I think and this one is odd for a late date (maybe made for cadets). If there are no holes for the badges then it's most likely used by the Militia who were not to serve out side the Australian Commonwealth unlike the AIF.
    If there is no wear and tear (other than from storage) on it then it's unissued. I do have quite a few unissued jackets and still with the paper tags. In all I've at least 30 of these WW2 jackets varying 1st and 2nd patterns and 1 post war one mentioned.
    I hope this helps you
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-19-2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added text

Thaks for the helpful reply Rene! Really appreciate it!

As far as I knew, "Australia" shoulder badges and grey background colour on patches were distinctive for overseas service. Were collar badges though placed on all tunics or was that not always the case? Are there examples of unbadged VDC tunics?

I do have that feel that mine was never actually issued. No badge holes, plus... I have it on display with a pair of 43 dated, Aussie made trousers, coming from the grouping of a Sacred Squadron 2nd Lt. and I am just feeling "it's not right" every time I see them together!

Regards, Giorgos

Quote by gi0rgos p View Post
    Thaks for the helpful reply Rene! Really appreciate it!

As far as I knew, "Australia" shoulder badges and grey background colour on patches were distinctive for overseas service. Were collar badges though placed on all tunics or was that not always the case? Are there examples of unbadged VDC tunics?

I do have that feel that mine was never actually issued. No badge holes, plus... I have it on display with a pair of 43 dated, Aussie made trousers, coming from the grouping of a Sacred Squadron 2nd Lt. and I am just feeling "it's not right" every time I see them together!

Regards, Giorgos
    I'd love to see what you have there
    VDC is another entity and have their own collar badges and some are very rare! I can't help on this factor Sacred Squadron? have you more info on this? I am no expert on Aussie uniforms an have to rely on what I have, and for photographic evidence I rely on this 5 volume set pictured, and Keith Glyde's book "Distinguishing Colour Patches of the Australian Military Forces 1915 - 1951"

Hi Giorgos, please show your Greek Sacred Squadron items. Rare unit! I hope it is good.

Cheers, Ade.

I actually don't own the grouping, just the trousers... A dealer found a named footlocker of a 2nd Lt. with 2 sets of BD, SD, caps, webbing, insignia and paperwork... When I saw it I was like I asked him how much he wanted for the whole lot and told me "this one stays in my collection, sorry, but you can have the trousers if you want". So I just got a pair of trousers from that awesome grouping...

I will post some photos from the trousers and the tunic later on this evening though, I need batteries for my cam! I 'll drop a phone call to the dealer and ask for any available photos of the grouping, it was really amazing...

Regards, Giorgos

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast