Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Australian Boots

Article about: I thought I would share pictures of the seven pairs of boots in my little Australian boot collection. I 'got into' these boots about 20 years ago when I attended the huge Bendigo auto swap m

?

Default Australian Boots

I thought I would share pictures of the seven pairs of boots in my little Australian boot collection. I 'got into' these boots about 20 years ago when I attended the huge Bendigo auto swap meeting and spotted a vendor with a big wooden box filled with mint unused WWII boots, all the same size. He wanted five dollars a pair, so I bought a pair (ONE pair? was I mad? Hindsight is a wonderful thing!). Since then I have spotted more here-and-there and this is what I have today:

Australian Boots

1 Early flat sole boots are hard to find unused. These were made in 1941 and stamped "Rampling & Hall 422" who were located in Hoddle St, Melbourne. There are two inspectors stamps; H for the upper and T for the soles.

Australian Boots

2 A slightly worn pair stamped "V589, 654, 1944" Another Victorian pair. Uppers were inspected by K. Note the jungle cleats.

Australian Boots

3 A pair from Western Australia: "W207, 654, 1944" Soles were inspected by M but cant make out the upper inspector.

Australian Boots

4 A very russet finish on this South Australian pair: "S311, 65, 1945" P inspected the upper and L the soles.

Australian Boots

5 A rather faded pair from Victoria: "V__?, 667?, 1945" Uppers inspected by W.

Australian Boots

6 Now we jump forwards to 1966. Stamped with the size and the broad arrow but no maker visible.

Australian Boots

7 Finally a pair from 1978, made by John Firth of South Australia and stamped D [broad arrow] D.

Feel free to add pictures of your boots here.

Cheers,
    Oz.

AIF
    ?

That 1941 dated pair are fantastic mate! They must be a very late 41 manufacture as the toe cap stitched boots were supposed to have been brought in in 1942.

If I can locate where all mine are packed away I will post some pictures up. I have a couple of different versions like the rubber soled ones and the pebbled finish as well.

Thanks for sharing

?

Thank you Luke, I was not aware of the cut-off date.
    Yes please, put some pictures up.

Oz.

Great collection! The first pair of AB boots I was issued in the school cadets in 1975 was a pair of the black leather sole type-bloody dangerous things that slipped and slid all over any hard surface, especially on a slope-surprised to see that they were still being made in 1978-when I joined the reserve in 1979, all the boots had the synthetic tread soles.

?

Thank you Lithgow. Yes, basically no change from 1941 to 1978, amazing eh? I thought the black ones were incomplete when I first spotted them.

Oz.

Great thread!....

AIF
    ?

G'day Oz, Yeah prior to having the toe stitching they wore the WW1 type boot. Here are a couple of pairs from the Kokoda Historical Society page. The pair in the first two pictures with the laces (incorrectly laced I might add) were made by J.J. WHYTE in 1941. The second pair were made by W.PEATT (William Peatt boot company, Collingwood Vic) in 1940 and last pic shows a comparison between the two toe types.

Cheers Luke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Boots   Australian Boots  

Australian Boots   Australian Boots  

Lovely boots, here's a couple of mine from my archive pics
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-21-2018 at 12:37 AM.

?

Great pictures guys. I have not seen a pair with the fabric? soles yet. Were they general issue?

Oz.

AIF
    ?

Nice boots Rene!

Hi Oz, They are a rubber composite sole, those style of boots were issued to drivers and armoured crews.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast