Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Australian sample service dress coat ???

Article about: Hi guys picked up this sample service dress coat recently . I can't find any info on it and was wondering if any one had any ?. thanks matty . It was sold as Sample/trial Australian service

Default Australian sample service dress coat ???

Hi guys picked up this sample service dress coat recently . I can't find any info on it and was wondering if any one had any ?. thanks
    matty . It was sold as Sample/trial Australian service dress jacket Concept Colors ( Deep Olive Green ) ? Are the buttons on the coat standard I only ask because I'v not seen them like this Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ???Australian sample  service dress coat ??? ?

?

Well the buttons display the Australian Army symbol, used primarily in the 1970's/80's.... The crest on the label is again 70's/80's symbol of the ADE.......and the font of the word "army" definitely places this in that period as this was seen on recruiting posters of the period.

Cheers mate thanks for the great info

?

This was probably a sample of uniform during a period when the Army wanted to move away from the battle dress and beret look.....there was a real push to "austrlianise" the uniform, get back to the slouch hat and have a service dress that would reflect an Australian design.....the service dress was one up on the General duties polyester uniform one would wear on parades and doing regimental duties.....not everyone was issued the service dress, it was dependant on your role or posting, in my 18 years, I was never issued it.....it is generally reserved for representational duties...

I'm no expert on these, just observing the various parts and time frame these insignia were used

mate absolutely great info and also extremely interesting . And I'd only get this sort of info from a person that served . they are the ones who seem to have a lot of the answers well because you's lived it I suppose . . I'v only been collecting uniforms for a short time so this sort of thing is pretty new to me. But I find the history of such things very interesting . cheers again .

?

No worries mate, I just remember the whole "uniform" change from battle dress to this stuff in the early 90's....the slouch hat and rising sun became standard dress again, berets were a no no, unless you were a member of the corps that had their own specific colours....staple belts went out of fasion as they were too "British" and then all the posters came out in orderly rooms showing nicely dressed models in the new orders of dress.....then we got DPCU and the whole fuss over how much to iron them and no more starch on the collars....and the black GPs went to a baby shot green colour, then brown.....then we changed to the current Kangaroo skin combat boots.....oh the RSMs had a field day

LOL sounds like a nightmare ....

There's a very old saying 'Great Coats On, Great Coats Off' for the constant changes in orders and regs that muck you around...