Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers

Article about: Hi & welcome to the forum! Thanks for the input. Love the A2! Cheers, Ade.

Default re: Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers

i might just edit the post because i dont think the info is quite right either but i do like the bit about MTx dropping the dates from the label feb 45

AIF
    ?

No even thats rubbish, MTX made tailored uniforms for the duration and none of it is dated, dont know why but they were the only ones who could get away with it.

Anyway heres a few examples of MTX stuff that I can get to atm, I will have a better look later and see what else I have packed awy.

First up an AIF officers tropical tunic and trousers they belonged to a captain who served with the 7th division signals in North Africa, The label has brown text, Its the same on both the trousers and tunic. This example was made well before 1945...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers   Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers  

AIF
    ?

Next up we have a militia NCOs summer tunic, this time with a red label that also has the size, As far as I know this style of tunic wasnt made after 1942. This is a really nice jacket all the insignia is factory applied
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers   Australian WW2 Manufacturers Serial Numbers  

AIF
    ?

And thirdly... A mid war armoured/independant company (cdo) beret this time stamped with MTX and the size, The peak cap I have for the other uniform also has this identical stamp. All three of these Items were made well before 1945

Yeah i guess your right i spent all day looking. Home sick and found nothing else out there..
    Nice tunics by the way.
    would you mind comparing militia NCOs summer tunic with this one im posting.
    Im sorry about the photos im using iphone at the moment.
    i posted some shots of this tunic yesterday cause im fairly sure its not a raaf tunic but a modified one..
    I think its the half diamond stitching on the sleeves which is convincing me i got a ww2 pongo tunic with raaf buttons on it

AIF
    ?

Id say Its a RAAF officers tropical tunic, either that or an army one used by a guy in the RAAF. That sort of thing happened often, I used to have a tropical RAAF tunic used by a guy in the army and Ive seen plenty of RAAF slouch hats used by guys in the army and vice versa. I think its a good one

Here's a dated MTX label

Here's another MTX dated seem to be all RAAF?!

come on fellas add more !!

Rat Poison
    ?

Default Australian WW2 Manufacturers

Hi All, first post here. What a great Forum. I'll have to do a bit of scouting around as there looks to be heaps of things of interest to me here.

I'm generally an Aviation nut although I have way too many WWII Slouch Hats to say i've collected only plane related stuff, however over the past 5 years i've pretty much concentrated on Flying and Flight jackets- namely Irvin Flying jackets and AAF A-2 Flight Jackets.

This brings me to this thread. For a long time i've been trying to work out the company name of the Victorian manufacturer V505. I have two items with this label on them in my collection. The first is a pair of 1933 pattern flying gloves and the more significant item is an example of the only locally made A-2 flight jacket. This particular one was owned by the Skipper of a Marauder of the 2nd Bomb Sqn, 22 Bomb Group.

The A-2 was officially phased out in mid 1943 so if Aircrew based here wanted one the V505 was the only option and I presume that they were bought at the PX, although that's only supposition. I've only ever seen shots of about 4 examples of this maker (and as far as I know the only non US maker of A-2's although there may have been others made in the UK).

I'm pretty sure I can remember seeing a V505 Type B fliying helmet sometime in the past but I have had examples of the V498 type. The fact they made gloves and possibly flying helmets makes me think that they were possibly either Lasicas or Stag Leathergoods (who both made Type B Flying helmets and had their name labels on them up until 1942.

I've been wondering if there might be a Footwear and clothing Association that might have an archive or knowledge of one. It's such a specific area of interest i'm hoping that perhaps someone like that might know about some records somewhere. If anyone can shed any light on this i'd really appreciate it, although from reading here everyone seems to be having the same problem.

Specifically i'd love to find out the Company name, their location (presumably Melb) and if possible identify the leather used (I'm pretty sure it's Cow hide, unlike the US made Horsehide and goatskin.

Here are the pics

Last edited by Rat Poison; 11-25-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast