Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division

Article about: Some time ago I posted a War Aid BD blouse sporting the insignia of the 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment, 4th Inf. Div. http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/unifor...ht=East+Surrey The first bat

Default BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division

Some time ago I posted a War Aid BD blouse sporting the insignia of the 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment, 4th Inf. Div. 4th Division East Surrey Regiment WA BD blouse The first battalion of the East Surrey Regiment had served with the 78th Infantry Division and joined 4th Division only while serving in Greece in October 1945, therefore after the war was over. I was lucky enough to come across a BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Btn, East Surrey Regiment. It's NZ made, and very faintly dated 1944. Comes with cloth arc titles and battalions signs, which I had NEVER seen before, therefore - I guess - pretty rare. Please take notice of the facings of the lapels, since the BD has been modified for an officer.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division   BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division  

BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division   BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division  

BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division   BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division  

BD blouse badged to a Lieutenant of the 1/6 Battalion, East Surrey Regiment , 4th Division  

An interesting officer converted bd.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The New Zealand manufactured Battledress uniform was very well made and it is know that officers from Britain coveted the New Zealand made uniform. Where they came in contact with NZ troops such as in North Africa and Italy, such private acquisitions were possible. Schneideman & Sons Ltd were one of a number of makers. I've seen a BD jacket for a Lt. Col. of the Indian Army (4th Division?) made by Levy of Wellington. My understanding is during war time the officers collar was not made on the NZ made BD jackets. Hence the need for the collar to be privately tailored for the East Surrey Lieutenant, perhaps also in Italy.

Very interesting: I will have to check my NZ Officers BD blouses in order to find if their lapels have been modified. Still I don't think even British BD blouses were ever produced for officers, since usually officers were expected to wear tailor made uniforms or modified other ranks clothing...