Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards

Article about: This blouse although unnamed was sold to me as that formerly of Major (George) David Chetwode of the Coldstream Guards. Major Chetwode was the son of Admiral Sir George Knightley Chetwode an

Default BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards

This blouse although unnamed was sold to me as that formerly of Major (George) David Chetwode of the Coldstream Guards. Major Chetwode was the son of Admiral Sir George Knightley Chetwode and Alice Clara Vaughan-Lee. His uncle was Field Marshal Sir Philip Chetwode who was Commander in Chief in India when David was sent out there as Aide-de-Camp of the Governor General of Bombay prior to WW2. At the time of his role as Aide-de-Camp, Chetwode was a Captain in the Coldstream Guards - the regiment to which he joined in the late 20's after serving as a Midshipman in the Royal Navy. During his time in the Navy he received a presentation dirk from King George V.
    Major Chetwode was badly wounded during WW2 hence the wound bar on the arm of the blouse.
    Major (Captain) Chetwode received the OBE (for his Aide-de-Camp duties?) in December 19th 1944, while acting as a Temporary Major (63562), as found in the London Gazette, December 21st 1944. He resigned from the Coldstream Guards in 1947.
    This is the info I got form the seller and the London Gazette. I wonder whether it could be possible to find his records or name in the roll call of the Coldstream Guards, of which both 2nd and 3rd Battalion have fought in Italy... The medal ribbons are those of the OBE, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star (First Army), Italy Star, Defense Medal, War Medal.
    Please note how, even if the blouse is of a comfortable Size 15, Major Chetwode deemed it necessary to add a pair of extra buttons on the inner fly so that the BD could fit better!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards   BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards  

BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards   BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards  

BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards   BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards  

BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards  

Default Re: BD blouse: Major Chetwode of Coldstream Guards

Very nice named and tailored BD.

I am certain this could be researched further. There must be a Regimental history available somewhere? Being a Major he is bound to be mentioned somewhere. The Regt will not disclose info to non next of kin, which is frustrating I know. But here is the link anyway...

Archives - Regimental Headquarters Coldstream Guards Online PRI Shop, Association and Archives

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Very nice named and tailored BD.

I am certain this could be researched further. There must be a Regimental history available somewhere? Being a Major he is bound to be mentioned somewhere. The Regt will not disclose info to non next of kin, which is frustrating I know. But here is the link anyway...

Hello Ade, I am unearthing this thread because I have just found a mention of Major Chetwode as the Brigade Major of the 1st Guards Brigade until May 31st, 1944. It's in an excerpt of the War Diary of the 1st Guards Brigade published in "Ensign in Italy. A Platoon Commander's Story" by Philip Brutton, Leo Cooper, London 1992. I am wondering how the war diary of the 1st Guards Brigade could be retrieved....

Archives - Regimental Headquarters Coldstream Guards Online PRI Shop, Association and Archives

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Ade, I am unearthing this thread because I have just found a mention of Major Chetwode as the Brigade Major of the 1st Guards Brigade until May 31st, 1944. It's in an excerpt of the War Diary of the 1st Guards Brigade published in Ensign in Italy. A Platoon Commander's Story by Philip Brutton, Leo Cooper, London 1992. I am wondering how the war diary of the 1st Guards Brigade could be retrieved....

The War Diary might be in the National Archives, Kew, London. Try there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The War Diary might be in the National Archives, Kew, London. Try there.

Cheers, Ade.
    Alas, Ade, the only record that I have been able to retrieve is this... The National Archives | Search results:WO 166/894