Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Beginning Collector: Overcoat

Article about: Hi, I'm a beginning World War 2 collector at 15 years old. I have Asperger's Syndrome so I tend to become attached to a subject in life, and it appears WW2 became my "thing". Anywa

Mannerheim
    ?

Question Beginning Collector: Overcoat

Hi, I'm a beginning World War 2 collector at 15 years old. I have Asperger's Syndrome so I tend to become attached to a subject in life, and it appears WW2 became my "thing". Anyway, I recently Picked up a WW2 US Greatcoat that Caught my eye. The tag says 1945 as to when it was issued. And at the top of the coat near the collar, inside, it says:36R. Another VERY interesting feature that drew me to it was the fact that it appears to have some sort of large bloodstain at the bottom I have a plan for it as well. I will be wearing it at the WW2 memorial in washington DC the next time I visit, so that I can bring it to a hallowed a sacred ground in honor of the person who's blood is on the coat. Well can anyone tell me more about it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beginning Collector: Overcoat   Beginning Collector: Overcoat  

Beginning Collector: Overcoat   Beginning Collector: Overcoat  

?

Default Re: Beginning Collector: Overcoat

Not overly sure about the coat (better pictures would help), but I don't think the stain is blood. Blood tends to darken to a brownish rust color fairly fast, and you're talking around 65(+) years. The stain on the coat looks quite orange to me...

If you really wanted to be sure about the stain, just get a black light. If it's blood, it will glow to some extent...

Mannerheim
    ?

It MUCH darker in person, I took these pics with a bad webcam... and the other pics I took with a camera were too large to upload here

?

I just think there wouldn't be any hint of light red like that. It would almost be dark brown. But like I said, to test it, just put it under a blacklight...

looks orangey more like rust staining

[QUOTE=Mannerheim;160983 the other pics I took with a camera were too large to upload here[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, all you have to do is Edit the photo and make it smaller.

And by the way, Welcome to the wonderful (but expensive) world of militaria collecting

Mannerheim
    ?

In person, it is DARK brown, not much color too be honest, other than dark brown, but I will try to find a blacklight

Mannerheim
    ?

Just tested with a blacklight, and It appeared to confirm it was blood

?

Quote by Mannerheim View Post
    Just tested with a blacklight, and It appeared to confirm it was blood
    Any pics of it under blacklight? Just interested...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.