Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

British Anorak (Anarak?) WWII?

Article about: Bought some time ago, an Anorak supposedly british. The label markings being completely washed away, somebody has thought well to stress wit a felt tip pen the original writing, therefore ma

Default British Anorak (Anarak?) WWII?

Bought some time ago, an Anorak supposedly british. The label markings being completely washed away, somebody has thought well to stress wit a felt tip pen the original writing, therefore making impossible to identify the origin of this piece of clothing. Is there anybody that can identify the pattern of this Anorak (or Anarak?): British or US? Army or Navvy? thank you in advance, gents!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_1_A.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	894195   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	894194  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_Tag.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	894199   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_Label.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	894198  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	894197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anorak_1_B.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	894196  

It appears that someone has added their own designation for this garment in biro on the original washed out label. Spelling is wrong and though it might be British its not something I recognise or would pay much money for.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It appears that someone has added their own designation for this garment in biro on the original washed out label. Spelling is wrong and though it might be British its not something I recognise or would pay much money for.
    Hello Jerry, this is exactly what I have written before: the idea to overwrite the label does not permit any positive identification, maybe on purpose... still I would like to know if this kind of anorak can be somehow recognized as British, or not....

Windproof Smock?

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    Hello Jerry, this is exactly what I have written before: the idea to overwrite the label does not permit any positive identification, maybe on purpose... still I would like to know if this kind of anorak can be somehow recognized as British, or not....
    It makes it impossible to read what might still be there and could easily be done to deceive.

As Earlymb mentions it might be a windproof smock though they usually have 4 pockets on the front and this does not appear to have any?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    It makes it impossible to read what might still be there and could easily be done to deceive.

As Earlymb mentions it might be a windproof smock though they usually have 4 pockets on the front and this does not appear to have any?
    definitively not a Windproof Smock: no pockets, no waist strap...

?

I have one of these, however I was told it is much earlier, and it never had a tag in it..it has the Broad Arrow and inspector numbers on the piece itself....also the cord that tightens the neck on mine has been replaced with a thick wick for a lantern... It also shows a lot of wear and repairs.

I will try to dig it out and show some photos.

Mine is very light material, so some think mine maybe Boer War, I have tried to find out what it is...but I can find nothing about it online..not from other collectors, some wanted to buy mine, and as I know those guys very well, I do not think they are holding back info on it, they like myself, want it as it is very odd, and must be rare as no one I know has ever seen one before.

Dean O
    Canada

I recently came across a photo of a ww2 welsh gun crew wearing a similar jacket..the photo was too small to confirm or deny

Here is what i found, with the description..
    A 3.7 inch Mountain Howitzer of 1 Mountain Artillery Regiment, RA attached to 52nd Division, on exercise at Trawsfynydd in Wales in 1942. The gun crew are wearing weatherproof anoraks, mountaineering breeches and woollen stockings
    Name:  440px-3.7inchHowitzerWales8May1942.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  54.9 KB

I think it is an early war Labrador smock.

Also a bigger pic
    Nice pic of Bergens as well and a mk VI Gas mask bag with the round anti gas ointment showing through.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labrador suit.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	894803  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast