Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

Article about: Indeed Ade, this London Gazette malarkey is pretty good! Just found a bit more info on our boy. He didn't rejoin at the outbreak, but rather in 1910 after a break from the Army of 3 years. I

Default Re: British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

Indeed Ade, this London Gazette malarkey is pretty good!

Just found a bit more info on our boy. He didn't rejoin at the outbreak, but rather in 1910 after a break from the Army of 3 years. It seems civvy life didn't agree with him. I'm itching to find his wartime records now!

Also this one gives up his full name for the first time. William Dillworth Crewdson.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crewdson.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	400631

And here, his pre war promotion to Captain in 1913 is noted in the Borders list of Officers for the 4th battalion.

4th Battalion, Border Regiment Army List 1914 - Border Regiment Wiki

Excellent, he was interested in history. Apparently outside of the Army he was the Treasurer of the Cumberland and Westmorland antiquarian and archaeological society

Full text of "Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society"

I like to think he would be pleased with his becoming history, and the subject of research

That does have a certain irony to it!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Excellent research and very interesting results. You can apply for his service records but as a non relative you would have to pay a fee I think.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

1909 Army List shows 2nd Lt, W.D. Crewsdon, 4th Battn. Border Regt., and 1913 Army List shows him as a Lieut. in the same battn.
    I read in a previous post that he retired in 1926, and it appears his only award was the T.D. ( Territorial Decoration), essentially, an officers LSGC medal.

BobS

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Jerry you beauty, I might have our boy! I found a reference to a Lt Col W. D. Crewdson of 4th Battalion The Borders, written upon his retirement due to tenure of command in 1926. Any idea how old this would make him at that time? I suppose the average age of a Captain in the late 19th Century might be around 20 - 22? I've never used the Gazette before, fantastic stuff!

Attachment 400478
    Average age of a captain in the late 19th century was more like 30-35 years of age. Most officers were commissioned about age 20, then 2-3 years or so till promoted lieutenant, then captain age 28-30 or so.
    Most cavalry regiment and infantry battalion commanding officers, with the rank of lieut. colonel, were in their mid 40's, even up to age 50. Obviously once WWI commenced, these ages dropped dramatically.
    I have the two volume "Bond of Sacrifice", which has all officers killed listed up until mid 1915. The age of many pre-war regular officers might be surprising to some; 35-38 year old captains, majors in their mid-late 40's, and 50 year old lieut. colonels. Not all, but many, and most officers of these ranks were at least Boer War veterans.

BobS
    Last edited by BobS; 10-01-2012 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123