Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

Article about: Indeed Ade, this London Gazette malarkey is pretty good! Just found a bit more info on our boy. He didn't rejoin at the outbreak, but rather in 1910 after a break from the Army of 3 years. I

Default British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

Anything you could tell me about this would be great gents, in particular the regiment and time frame this type of uniform would have been worn. Is there any way to do a little research with the information we have on the tag?

Many thanks!
    Andy

British Army Captain Named Mess TunicBritish Army Captain Named Mess TunicBritish Army Captain Named Mess TunicBritish Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

?

Default Re: British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic

Hi Andy,

Cant give you any help as regards the age/time frame etc, it could be anytime from Victorian to date, however, a quick Google check found the following website.
    Makes for interesting reading.
    The company is still going and is now based in Thundersley/Benfleet, Essex.

Hobson and Sons - The number one manufacturer of Uniforms and Acoutrements

I dont recognise the buttons and it may be worth dropping them an email to see if they have anything in their records.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Addition: Just re-read the company home page/About us. If the label is anything to go by, the jacket is pre 1900 because this is when they moved to Southwark, (Tooley St)

5th september 77 is the date on the label. I don't recognise the buttons. I don't know if that is 1877 or 1977 as these do not change a lot in time, but following the update by Jimpy it appears to be 1877.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    5th september 77 is the date on the label. I don't recognise the buttons. I don't know if that is 1877 or 1977 as these do not change a lot in time, but following the uopdate it appears to be 1877.
    Jerry,

I think that the 5977 is the officer's service number. I dont think that it is the date 5 9 1977, see above in post #2 as to my reasoning/arguments why.

Reagrds etc

Ian D
    Last edited by jimpy; 09-20-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Jerry,

I think that the 5977 is the officer's service number. I dont think that it is the date 5 9 1977, see above in post #2 as to my reasoning/arguments why.

Reagrds etc

Ian D
    Indeed, but I had updated my post following your update so it could still be the date.

- - Updated - -

You could try a search with his name in the London Gazette.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Quote by Bond View Post
    Indeed, but I had updated my post following your update so it could still be the date.

- - Updated - -

You could try a search with his name in the London Gazette.
    Hi Jerry,

Your update went in as I was typing my response mate.
    Hadnt thought about the London Gazette, it's the buttons that are throwing me at present mate, Ive never come across this particular style on a British Army mess dress jacket, or any other jacket for that matter, the wife has suggested they may be from around the Boxer Rebellion/Opium Wars era with them having the stereotypical Chinese Dragon on them.

Regards etc

Ian D

Aka; jimpy

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi Jerry,

Your update went in as I was typing my response mate.
    Hadnt thought about the London Gazette, it's the buttons that are throwing me at present mate, Ive never come across this particular style on a British Army mess dress jacket, or any other jacket for that matter, the wife has suggested they may be from around the Boxer Rebellion/Opium Wars era with them having the stereotypical Chinese Dragon on them.

Regards etc

Ian D

Aka; jimpy
    Its late here and I am doing something else at the moment and then I'm off to bed, but I will have a look in my reference books tomorrow and see if I can find it.
    Regards,

Jerry

?

Border Regiment 3rd & 4th Bns - Officers Quality 25.5mm - Post-1922 Brass

Military Uniform Buttons (Older Types) For Sale

Best Regards,

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic  British Army Captain Named Mess Tunic 
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

The buttons are definitely standard Border Regiment, and the jacket is probably 1930s. The number 5977, would be the tailor's order number - officer's didn't have service numbers

Rob

Might be worth contacting the Border Regt Museum for help on the name, I have found them helpful in the past.

Cumbria's Military Museum - Home

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast