Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British Army Service Dress O.R. Jacket

Article about: Good morning everyone, I just found this example of the British Army Service Dress, jacket five buttons, dated 1942; these uniforms have now become hard to find in good condition and it seem

Default British Army Service Dress O.R. Jacket

Good morning everyone,
    I just found this example of the British Army Service Dress, jacket five buttons, dated 1942; these uniforms have now become hard to find in good condition and it seemed interesting to share.
    When discussing the WW2 period, attention is often focused on the most famous "Battledress uniform", but I think it is interesting to note that the BEF in France in 1939 still used this model widely by front-line troops, as can be seen from this link, for example:
    http://charlesmccain.com/2018/01/bef...res-fight-huns /

I know that this model is called "1922 pattern" but I've always considered it simply a variant of the Mod 1902.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

British Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. Jacket
    Last edited by OldSteel; 04-13-2019 at 07:22 PM. Reason: add info

Strictly speaking you are correct, it is merely a variant rather than a separate pattern and indeed these should garner more respect than they do.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

It's almost the forgotten uniform of WW2. The New Zealand Army adopted the P1902 SD uniform in 1910 and when the 2nd NZEF arrived in Egypt and one etchelon to Scotland, arriving June 1940, they were all wearing P1902 SD uniforms. The Battledress uniform was issued to them later in 1940.

British Army Service Dress O.R. JacketBritish Army Service Dress O.R. Jacket

Thanks Anderson, for adding this info, I didn't know this!